Author Topic: 1967 Turn Signal and Emergency Flashers Messed Up  (Read 1359 times)

Offline kkupec02

Re: 1967 Turn Signal and Emergency Flashers Messed Up
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 11:41:27 PM »
No sequential lights. They didn't happen until 1968. Thanks for the help so far. I am going to go dark for a while while I do some work and order parts. I guess since the emergency flasher and turn signal relays are so cheap, I'll order them and rule them out. Especially since I have a problem in the front as well as the back. I'll get all new bulbs front and back and rule them out. Sockets I am not sure about yet, but I will clean them up. I will also do continuity checks from the left of the harness to the right in the rear. I don't know why the power feed goes from left to right with a "good" left to a weak right. Is it ground? I don't think so since I did the jumpers. Is it a loss in the power wire? I also have weak right running lights and brake lights as well as the turn signals. Again, this is true both front and rear on the right side. 
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 05:14:26 AM »
I just bought the car mid March and had a burnt horn contact so I had to change my steering wheel harness....

Explain "burnt horn contact"

If ever something shorted out and perhaps was WITHOUT a fuse (as in bubble gum wrapper used as a fuse or the likes), you risk the possibility that wiring could be melted together in the main harnesses.

Do you have any melted-looking wiring in the original steering column harness?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 08:58:09 AM »
One of the 2 floating horn contacts in the steering column harness had shorted. The copper top was gone, there was a burnt spot on the stainless steel horn ring under the steering wheel and it burnt up a wire in the steering wheel itself that I had to replace. There were no issues with the harness wiring when I removed it. And it has been replaced with a $200 new in box Ford harness from EBay. I had the turn signal issues before and after the steering wheel harness fix which of course still could mean wiring issues elsewhere. After the easier changes that I listed as parts come in, bulbs, turn signal flasher, emergency flasher, my next diagnostic as you say is to start checking continuity in all of the turn signal wiring for issues. I am hoping for something else but agree it doesn't make sense that for instance the back tail light wire goes from the left side which is good to the right which is bad. It is the same wire. I think that I may have more than one issue going on with the wiring. Something going on right rear, ground or power wire, and something going on in front with the bleed over of power where the right signal turns on the left front signal as well.  Power bleeding over from a short? A bulb? Through a ground?     
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
Let's try this:
Take two pictures of the wiring connectors, one from the back side of each the steering column harness and another from the vehicle's under dash harness.

Maybe a previous attempt at a repair crossed wires somehow.
Try to pre-arrange each wire so the picture shows any tracer wire (such as "blue with yellow tracer").
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
I have a column out of a parts car that everything worked on. I use it to test with by laying it on the floor and plugging it in to the car harness. It has save me several needless turn switch removals. I once got a car that had been done in a Mustang restoration shop, it had all kinds of weird stuff going on. I plugged in my test column in and all was fine. I discovered that they had reversed the order of the wiring in the plug.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
Let's try this:
Take two pictures of the wiring connectors, one from the back side of each the steering column harness and another from the vehicle's under dash harness.

Maybe a previous attempt at a repair crossed wires somehow.
Try to pre-arrange each wire so the picture shows any tracer wire (such as "blue with yellow tracer").
Wire in color/stripe should match wire out color/stripe.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
I stripped out the wiper motor wires from a 67 harness in order to build a test harness for wiper, switch and foot pedal. Also handy for resetting wiper to park.
Same concept to test out pieces with known good parts from a parts car!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 11:24:14 AM »
I just checked the harness both sides and it looks good. I have matching wires from steering harness side to dash harness side. I have: red steering harness to empty dash harness side (I guess this is normal). I then have orange/blue to orange/blue, white blue steering side goes to 2 white/blue dash side, green/white steering side goes to 2 green/white dash side, blue/yellow to blue/yellow, green/orange to green/orange, white/red to white/ red, yellow to yellow, green to green and blue to blue. I have all new bulbs coming in. I will clean all contacts and add grease. I have a new correct concours voltage regulator coming in as the one I have is incorrect parts store replacement. Also a new flasher relay if I can reach it from underneath. After that, I will have to go wire to wire and check continuity.   
1967 Corvette Roadster

Online 67gta289

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
My questions and recommendations have been an attempt to divide and conquer.  Keep cutting the potential problem location in half until we get to the issue.  But you might have more than one issue, and that can be very challenging.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
I agree in that I think that I may have more than one issue. I don't know why I am getting such low voltage to the lights first of all. Then there is the bleed over problem. Finally, my horns work sometime but not all of the time. So I am losing power to them off and on. It is after the dash harness as today when they didn't work, I put a jumper on the horn contacts, put a light on the yellow wire at the dash side of the connector and had power, but no horns. A little while later, they worked again. I'll start a new thread once my parts come in and are installed. thanks.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
I agree in that I think that I may have more than one issue. I don't know why I am getting such low voltage to the lights first of all. Then there is the bleed over problem. Finally, my horns work sometime but not all of the time. So I am losing power to them off and on. It is after the dash harness as today when they didn't work, I put a jumper on the horn contacts, put a light on the yellow wire at the dash side of the connector and had power, but no horns. A little while later, they worked again. I'll start a new thread once my parts come in and are installed. thanks.
You may already know this but it bears repeating that the horns and tailights etc,require a good ground to function properly. A poor ground has been the source of more then one strange symptom . In your case it could be one of the multiple problem . At the very least it is good to confirm and  eliminate a ground as a culprit. For the best horn ground I make a small patch of the contact point bare metal on the radiator support side and on the horn bracket side .I then take a small wade of aluminum foil to take up gap in between the bracket and radiator support when bolted down. I coat all contact surfaces with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Other grounds can be confirmed and protected in a similar way. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I have a big tube of dielectric grease coming with the new bulbs, voltage regulator and flasher. I also have sandpaper ready to clean all contacts. I hate to keep extending this thread, but I just came up with another question. I have been reading through my Osborne manuals and the 1967 mustang, cougar and fairlane service manual as well as trying to jumper and continuity the problem.  In the diag section of the service manual, I see what appears to be very similar to what I am experiencing in the turn signals and emergency flasher.  I have ordered from NPD the only flasher assy listed for 1967. It seems to be a combo flasher for turn signals and emergency. Despite the fact that the electrical diagrams list them separately in the service manuals. Are they one and the same on a 1967? Secondly, the diag section of the service manual says that I may have 2 wires crossed at the 4 wire 'turn signal indicator relay' or may need a new one. This can't be the same as I ordered form NPD as I believe that is a 2 wire flasher? The NPD pics don't show the back. Is there a " turn signal indicator relay"?
1967 Corvette Roadster