Author Topic: Detailing Wheelwells - Hot Rod Magazine Article  (Read 4511 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Detailing Wheelwells - Hot Rod Magazine Article
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.  Don't forget, the factory "did not bother to mask off the tank or the fuel lines, which also will have an overspray pattern. Restorers consider this work artistic."

:o   ;D

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/1606-post-paint-detailing-undercoat-wheelwells-the-right-way/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:10:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hot Rod Magazine Article on Detailing Wheelwells
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
WOW!!

Sorry to report though that we'll likely see another 100 plus cars "restored" this way due to this article.

The battle continues and this example IMHO reinforces the need for sites like ours to push back against this sort of publication and writers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
WOW!!

Sorry to report though that we'll likely see another 100 plus cars "restored" this way due to this article.

The battle continues and this example IMHO reinforces the need for sites like ours to push back against this sort of publication and writers
Compliments on your diplomatic choice of wording . Extremely forgiving commentary on your part given the info in the article.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
OK, for us youngins in this realm, can someone explain what it was the article did wrong, cuz I'd be thinking that's the way to do it. I'd since I'm getting mine painted in the next couple months, I might be inclined to direct the painter in that direction if I didn't know not to.  If it's already been discussed, a pointer to the thread would be appreciated, not sure what to do a search for that would cover this.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
OK, for us youngins in this realm, can someone explain what it was the article did wrong, cuz I'd be thinking that's the way to do it. I'd since I'm getting mine painted in the next couple months, I might be inclined to direct the painter in that direction if I didn't know not to.  If it's already been discussed, a pointer to the thread would be appreciated, not sure what to do a search for that would cover this.

Rather than try and explain what "they did wrong"  in this thread I direct you to the area of the site that relates to the year and plant your car was built for illustrations, pictures and information specific to your car. If you can't find a thread that deals with the question after a search and some reading please feel free to start another and help will show up :)

In general -

1- the sound deadener was applied at all plants during the classic years prior to exterior color application (so the final thing you see on the surface over 95% plus of the rear wheel well sound deadener was body color) Yes the text does refer to seeing some body color in the area on a different car (65 Mustang) but the picture will lead many (since so many will just look at the pictures) to look at the picture details and move on

2- It was applied to the bare unibody so no gas tank, fuel lines, rearend, brakes, wiring .... with sound deadener overspray.

"02. Mask off the fender, rear axle, brakes, and leaf springs, but leave the gas tank and fuel line exposed, as the assembly plant did."

"08. Notice how the coating splattered onto the gas tank, imitating the factory look. The assembly plant did not bother to mask off the tank or the fuel lines, which also will have an overspray pattern."

3- The example they used to show "Restorers consider this work artistic." body color over rear springs
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:03:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 07:48:23 AM »

1- the sound deadener was applied at all plants during the classic years prior to exterior color application (so the final thing you see on the surface over 95% plus of the rear wheel well sound deadener was body color) Yes the text does refer to seeing some body color in the area on a different car (65 Mustang) but the picture will lead many (since so many will just look at the pictures) to look at the picture details and move on

Jeff, I saw that article myself and thought thats not right, so I am learning something it seems... :o 

Your above quote is in context of the rear wheel wells only right as the front do in fact have sound deadener over the paint and the brakelines etc if my learnings are correct..?  ;)

67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »
Slightly more disturbing considering who the author of the article is... might should have checked up on that before publishing.  Hopefully not very many concours restoration owners are looking at Hot Rod magazine.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »
Just the "tone" of the way it was written turned me off,and the actual info --bogus as hell. The overspray on the springs is so backwards to the article as to be laughable.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
Rather than try and explain what "they did wrong"  in this thread I direct you to the area of the site that relates to the year and plant your car was built for illustrations, pictures and information specific to your car. If you can't find a thread that deals with the question after a search and some reading please feel free to start another and help will show up :)

In general -

2- It was applied to the bare unibody so no gas tank, fuel lines, rearend, brakes, wiring .... with sound deadener overspray.

"02. Mask off the fender, rear axle, brakes, and leaf springs, but leave the gas tank and fuel line exposed, as the assembly plant did."

"08. Notice how the coating splattered onto the gas tank, imitating the factory look. The assembly plant did not bother to mask off the tank or the fuel lines, which also will have an overspray pattern."

3- The example they used to show "Restorers consider this work artistic." body color over rear springs
Ah, thanks, that gives me a better idea of threads to look for, instead of the entire site.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
Wow!  That's bad.  I guess they don't care that their misinformation can lead people astray.  No wonder people can get combative with judges when this kind of crap information is being put out. 
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
I guess if we think about it from a 'dealer-undercoating' perspective it would be ok for it to be all over stuff.  But, I didn't get that as being what they were trying to demonstrate.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 12:27:31 AM »
 I am a Hot Rod magazine subscriber and they do have a lot of good how-to articles. That said, they should stick to subjects related to modifying or improving vehicles and leave the subject of restoration to those who actually know what they are doing. There are way too many people who believe what these 'experts' print is gospel.

Offline 1969 Cale II

Re: Detailing Wheelwells - Hot Rod Magazine Article
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
It's amazing how many things go to print when the author doesn't do enough research and just believes what somebody is telling them is the truth. I saw a car story years ago about a "Prototype" Torino pictures and in the engine shot (1970 was the car year) it had a Mallory Unilight dist, ribbed flexible upper rad house and no snorkel on air cleaner, and everything was painted black, nuts, bolts, ect. Hard to believe that could get printed

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: Detailing Wheelwells - Hot Rod Magazine Article
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
Just another reason why I am so thankful for this site - valuable and current information organized in a meaningful and simple format.  Plus so many contributors willing to provide/share relevant information/details almost instantaneously.  I search here first!

Thanks to all of you.  Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967