Author Topic: Bead Blasting Hood Spring -  (Read 1418 times)

Offline jwc66k

Bead Blasting Hood Spring -
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
A friend wanted his 66 convertible hood springs bead blasted but he wanted the inner surface of the coils done as well. I made a spring stretcher to do this. I have thought about this for a long time and procrastinated. A couple of beers will get me in a creative mode.
Pic 1 - A three foot long 3/8-16 threaded rod and a 3/4 x 1/16 wall square tube for materials. Also are four 3/8-16 nuts and four 3/8 flat washers.
Pic 2 - The rod cut to two 6 inch long pieces, and the tube cut to two 5 inch long pieces.
Pic 3 - After marking where to drill two holes in each tube, 3/4 inch from each end, I drilled pilot holes.
Pic 4 - Then I drilled two 3/8 dia holes in tubes.
Pic 5 - Here's everything needed, the tubes, the rods, the nuts, the washers and the subject springs.
Pic 6 - Partially assembled. Note that to stretch the spring you need to thread one nut on each side to slide in the tube, then you can "stretch" the spring by wrenching the nuts to the ends.
Pic7 - It works.
The only change I would make is cutting the threaded rods at 7 inches, an inch longer. For reference, a un-sprung 64-66 hood hinge spring is 5 1/2 inches long. If your spring is longer, make the rods longer. It's not rocket science.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Bead Blasting Hood Spring -
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »
I am presently getting ready to do my 67's springs. My "mind's eye", perhaps memory of having seen this thread (one or the other ~not sure) essentially saw the same idea at first...

Then my mind, under the influence of my kind of "adult beverage" (coffee), thought "turnbuckle" and low and behold I already owned several the correct size.

Getting them inside using a brake spring installing spoon, kept my fingers and hands safe from harm (I pictured a screwdriver stabbed through my hand if I slipped).

They went inside very easily and once expanded, gave enough room between the coils (about 3/16"") to do the job.

Longer turnbuckle might give more room to make easier blasting but I think it'll be just fine...time to go change my media and try it out ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:59:05 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: Bead Blasting Hood Spring -
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »
Mine. I used materials that were laying around. Hey, as long as it works.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.