Author Topic: Horn Problem  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Pete Bush

Horn Problem
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »
Horns aren't working.

I just finished taking the steering wheel apart, and checking all the connections there. Everything looks fine and we have power to the contacts.

So I unplugged the horn jacks by the horn and put my meter in place of the horn. When I depress the horn button on the steering wheel, I show current - on both sides.

So I checked continuity on the horn from the jack terminal to the bracket, and I get nothing, no continuity. I'm thinking both high and low horns are dead. There's a code painted inside the low horn of 6E4C. Nothing in the high horn. Would this be the code for the original horn(s) of my May/June '66 vert?

Will repro horns match the original styling? If not, does someone rebuild these? Or does anyone know of NOS replacements?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Horn Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:26:39 AM »
Pete-
    I haven't used these people so I can't attest to their work but maybe they can help if nothing else works.

http://www.classiccarhorns.com/

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
Thanks, Greg! I'll check them out.

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »

One more quick test. Make sure you have very clean connections, hold the horn bracket on the NEG side of a fully charged battery and connect a jumper from the horn terminal to the POS of the battery. Hope for noise!  ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:57:01 AM »
There was a mustang monthly article a few months back. They suggested spraying WD40 in the horn and tap it with a mallet. If my memory is working I believe it stated that solved the problem on a lot of stuck horns.
5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »
Horns are extremely easy to service and repair.  The toughest thing is getting the case apart.  There's an old Corvette Fever magazine article floating around that detailed the horn repair process.  I used it to fix the original horns on my '66 fastback, and if those rusted things could be fixed, any set out there can be repaired!

One note on the reproduction horns: the reproduction horn bodies are screwed together, as opposed to riveted/bradded together like original horns.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
drummingrocks,

Is this the article link you were referring to?

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/technical-articles/c1/48-beep-beep.html

When you took your horns apart, what did you use to replace the rivets you drilled out?

Zip Products only handles Corvette rebuild kits. Will I need a source for any Mustang related parts i.e., gaskets, coil, etc.?

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »
Here's a picture of the horns. The one with the date code in it is the low. I found it on the right side of the car. NPD indicates that the low goes on the left side of the car.

If I rebuild, are there any suggestions on how to accurately redo the date code once the horns are re-painted?

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
drummingrocks,

Is this the article link you were referring to?

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/technical-articles/c1/48-beep-beep.html

When you took your horns apart, what did you use to replace the rivets you drilled out?

Zip Products only handles Corvette rebuild kits. Will I need a source for any Mustang related parts i.e., gaskets, coil, etc.?

Sorry for the late reply!  Yes, that's the article.  The gaskets I used came from Eckler's Corvette parts, and were an exact match for the original gaskets on my Mustang horns.  I also bought a rivet kit, which I think also came from Ecklers.  I installed the rivets individually by pressing them together in a vise.  The heads were a little taller than the original rivets, but after dressing them with a grinder, they were indistinguishable from the originals.  Hope this helps!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
Update: After reviewing the Beep Beep article, I remembered buying the horn repair kit from Zip Corvette Products.  It came with the gaskets, new vibrating discs, and the reassembly rivets. 

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
Thanks, drummingrocks. I've got the kit ordered.

Now all I need to do is figure out a way to reproduce the date code once I've repainted the horns.

I wonder if I could create a stencil from a photograph?

Offline Murf

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Pete, I photograph the horn date codes with a machinists rule in the photo, plus take accurate measurements of the letters/numbers on the originals.  Then it is off to the office supply store with my enlarged images printed on a paper and they will make  stamp that matches the image provided.  Usually about twenty or twenty five dollars for a stamp, mostly what the guy there feels like charging I suppose.  Try an office supply store near you while you still have the original stamping so they understand what you are doing and how important the font and spacing and size of the date code is to you.  It helps to show them the originals if you can.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
Actually, Murf, a stamp is an excellent idea that hadn't occurred to me!

I think I'll start cleanup and disassembly of the horns.

I'm curious, though. For those that don't have suitable cores, or don't want to spend the time and effort rebuilding the horns, could someone buy the reproduction horns (you know, the ones with the screws), and then remove the screws and replace them with the rivets from Zip Products, then stamp a date code in one of the horns, and wind up with a Concours correct replacement? Or do the reproductions still differ slightly from the originals?

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:17 PM »

Pete, The '67 reproduction horns that are sold are damn close to '66..They have the correct type '66 bracket.. Just the orientation of the horns is slightly different. Most people would'nt even notice the difference. I would go with those if I were you...Until you find some clean originals on Ebay.. An old trick on stubborn horns id to spray wd-40 liberally inside the original horn, and it springs back to life...but that is just a temporary fix.. You might want to give it a try..before you blow them apart.

The new repro horns ar held together with phillips screws, but you can paint them to make them less noticable.

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 06:28:26 AM »
Hey Tony,

I've got the repairs parts ordered, so I'm going to take a stab at taking them apart and rebuilding them. It's good to know the reproduction are so close to the originals, though. This way if I screw them up, I've got a backup plan (lol).

All,

Were the bolts that hold the horns to the radiator support painted black?