Author Topic: Dual Red Line Tires for '65 Mustang w 13" Wheels  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Patrk71

• My Mustang Restoration & Story
Dual Red Line Tires for '65 Mustang w 13" Wheels
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »
Have a '65 red on red coupe, 6 cyl, with 13" wheels and I am looking for information or direction on tires. 
I have a set of modern (new) small white wall radials on the car, but have read elsewhere that dual red line tires are looked for in judging.  My radials ride smooth. 

Do I need to change out my tires to dual red line? Don't remember having dual red line tires back when I got the car back in 65, but a lot of miles have gone by since then. 
Did find a set of NOS 13' hubcaps and snapped them up.

Where do I look for dual red line 13" tires and is there a particular brand that is correct?

Patrick

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Dual Red Line Tires for '65 Mustang w 13" Wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »
Dual redlines were standard equipment on hi-po's and optional on others.  I was always under the assumption that redline tires were only available in 14", but evidently there is a low-mile 65 with 13" wheels and redline tires.  I haven't seen any documentation on the car, so not completely sure of that.

If you're not sure what your car originally came with, definitely go with whitewall tires with a 7/8" wide whitewall for '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Patrk71

• My Mustang Restoration & Story
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
Thats what I have 7/8 white walls.  Any issue having modern radials?   All 4 tires on the ground match but spare is a different mfg.
Will points be deducted for a different brand spare? It is same size and type as on the ground but was the best of those I replaced.

The 13" tires are always the loss leaders for Tire Shop ads so I can go back get a spare that matches the tires on the ground.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:33 AM »
The type of show you enter will determine if the tires will cost points in judging. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin