Author Topic: 67 390 GT engine restoration pics  (Read 8986 times)

Offline preaction

67 390 GT engine restoration pics
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Well its been some time and this is where Im at with the engine, 390 GT for a non GT car. I realize I have more to do so here I go.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:41:45 AM by J_Speegle »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 390 GT engine restoration pics
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »
It looks very good . Were you wanting constructive comment on what is seen in the pictures?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:41:55 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

Re: 67 390 GT restoration pics
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
I should have been more clear as Im trying to use this to learn from my mistakes so yes fire away and thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:51:25 PM »
I thought so but wanted clarification so as not to be impolite. Did you get all of your bolts from AMK. If so they must be running out of some of the ones in the past that had assemblyline makers marks. For instance the compressor to bracket bolts previously came with the RBW markings. Most others are different too. Not a big deal unless thoroughbred. Just icing on the cake for other classes. Pic 1 missing star washer on ground bolt ,finish on bolt and washer although not always but more typically IMO gold ,Drain plug on oil pan should be painted. Pic 2, Motor mount should not be all black. Pic 6, 68 +  style W/P heater hose fitting ,center washer and bolt on compressor clutch although not always but more typically gold finish.  Pic 7, A/C brackets are hard to see but they should not be painted all black. The bracket is bare cast iron ,The pulley is black but and the center bearing cover of pulley should be silver . Pic 8,compressor valve should be all silver, P/S dipstick is 68+ type,no staples on valve cover gasket ,wrong P/S upper pressure hose,wrong appearing special bolt in lift hook,oil dipstick missing scabbard. Pic 9,ground bolt and missing star washer more typically gold finish. The engine detail looks very good +1 and comments are meant in a helpful way to make a great job even better from a historical standpoint. These are a few of the items that stand out in my mind for a appropriate concours trailered evaluation point of view. There are others but more of nuance details better suited for thoroughbred discussion . Others may see different. I hope this is helpful.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:42:08 AM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
Bob, thank you for your time and effort it is very much appreciated. All of the bolts for this assembly are the ones that came with it and were replated after I verified their demensions with a AMK catalog but I am shooting for a typical installation and this can be addressed. The altenater star washer is a internal type and it needs to be a external type. I am aware of the staples and am working on them. Un fortuneatly the oil pan bolt was replaced after paint, and the P/S hoses are on their way. Also I was aware of the lift hook bolts not being correct. Bob what is a dip stick scabbard ? The pic 9 bolt is gold and the star washer is on the bench.  This is very helpful, Paul.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:42:17 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »
Bob what is a dip stick scabbard ? The pic 9 bolt is gold and the star washer is on the bench.  This is very helpful, Paul.

I think it is the collar of the handle that hangs over the dipstick tube.

Your engine does look great to my untrained eye!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:42:27 AM by J_Speegle »
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:05:31 PM »
I think it is the collar of the handle that hangs over the dipstick tube.

Your engine does look great to my untrained eye!
+1
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:42:37 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
Its interesting how things appear when you have looked at them for so long and then you see a part with a small difference and I wonder how I didn't notice that, thanks. Bob is it possible to separate the dip stick from the handle to get the handle re chromed ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:42:49 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »
Its interesting how things appear when you have looked at them for so long and then you see a part with a small difference and I wonder how I didn't notice that, thanks. Bob is it possible to separate the dip stick from the handle to get the handle re chromed ?
Not that I am aware of. You have to rechrome the handle while still connected on the stick . I believe the plater knowing that only the handle is to be chromed will not submerge the whole thing in the tank. The ones I and others have had done only had chrome on a short section of the stick passed the handle. You have to explain to the chrome plater what your expectations are.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »
Well its been some time and this is where Im at with the engine, 390 GT for a non GT car. I realize I have more to do so here I go.

First great effort. Will approach this slightly different since I think we're discussing details rather than judging - so in this section everything is important :)

Sorry if any are repeats from others posting. Won't get everything first pass but on an initial once over

Pic #633- For others the nylon zip tie is just there temporarily and not factory. Noticed the lack of star washer also on the engine ground attachment. Engine plate at the rear of the engine block appears to not have any paint (should have little to none in the starter attachment area) behind the oil pan and would guess not around the top and drivers side visible edge either as seen in pic #641

Pic #635 - Nice green tint on the Thermactor T :)  and some nice original hoses

Pic #636 - Can't make out. Are there staples in place holding the valve cover gaskets to the valve covers? Holley choke shaft passenger side activation arm would bot be zinc dichromate (rebuilders like to plate everything the same most of the time) Choke shaft was plated on some and not on others - seems to depend on model. Choke cover (plastic cap or cover) was phosphate. Must not have bolted the carb to the intake manifold yet.

Pic #637 - Thermactor pump adjusting arm bolt washer installed backwards. Tab works as an indexer in the slot of the arm original ones I've seen have been engaged on the bottom/drivers side of the bolt head. . Did you apply the engine ID decal behind the Thermactor pump before you installed it?  Believe the batter post nut is installed backwards. Wonder about where you attached the Thermactor adjustment arm. Looks odd - thing it might have originally been to the passenger side under the castle headed bolt with no washer. Maybe its just the bolt - will look at some other examples.

Pic #638 - Don't recall nor have pictures with the thick washer below it, of the AC pump mounting bolts being used on big blocks to hold the fill label to the pump. See it all the time on small blocks but they have a tubular brace that attaches to the same point - likely IMHO the reason for such a heavy duty bolt there on those cars.  Have examples where the AC pump mounting bracket appears dark (reason its mistaken as black) possible phosphated finish. Bob mentioned the heater hose connection - might be the number or space from the end to the hex portion don't recall the Mustang used the same attachment as the Shelby's did but worth discussing. ;)

Pic #641 - Guess your waiting to figure out where the vacuum caps and lines are going to be installed/attached. Guess you will attach the carb choke heat tube later once the carb is attached fully. Not sure why two bolts in the rear of the passenger side head and the paint shadow. Passenger side Thermactor check valve a replacement? shade looks odd at this angle - large round body doesn't look tapered like an original

Pic #642 - Looking at other examples doesn't look like the Holley arm that controls the front bowl vent wasn't dichromate originally.  Filler caps for the AC - are they both the same?

Pic #642 - Pertonics?

Got to look up the details related to the idle compensator. At the moment I can only recall the 66 applications for cars with Thermactor. Also the carb tag details - Therm verses non-Therm

Enough for now. Just little stuff that is pretty easy to adjust Did good  8)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:43:00 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »

Pic #638 - Don't recall nor have pictures with the thick washer below it, of the AC pump mounting bolts being used on big blocks to hold the fill label to the pump. See it all the time on small blocks but they have a tubular brace that attaches to the same point - likely IMHO the reason for such a heavy duty bolt there on those cars. Have examples where the AC pump mounting bracket appears dark (reason its mistaken as black) possible phosphated finish. Bob mentioned the heater hose connection - might be the number or space from the end to the hex portion don't believe the Mustang used the same attachment as the Shelby's did but worth discussing. ;)

Jeff , the compressor bracket was more typically painted black. I can't recall ever seeing one that was a phosphate finish but then again I have not seen them all. I have seen hundreds over the years but even that allows for anomalies. I can say with a high confidence level that if some were a phosphate finish that it would be in a small minority given what I have seen in various contexts. I think you will find in your picture collection that the heater hose fitting was unique to 67 production year. It was a combination of two fittings that clocked the nipple outlet in a vertical position opposed to the more typical 45 degree that 68 on up were clocked at. It was a Mustang design and not a Shelby design(not sure how Shelby application would effect things). All of the fittings I ever found for 67 Shelby GT500  restorations came from 390 Mustangs until Bill Upton at Mansfield Mustang had them reproduced about 7-10 years ago at which point I bought them from Bill.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:43:17 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 01:20:52 AM »
Bob, Im not seeing the non Shelby 67 water pump nipple listed on Mansfield's web site. I did see some examples when you google that description it shows a shorter nipple with a larger hex area.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:43:31 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »
Bob, Im not seeing the non Shelby 67 water pump nipple listed on Mansfield's web site. I did see some examples when you google that description it shows a shorter nipple with a larger hex area.
  http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineHBC.html  -heat hose fitting . Even though he list them for 67 GT500 I have always found the ones for my needs on 390 Mustangs in the junk yards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:00:38 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
Jeff , the compressor bracket was more typically painted black..........................which point I bought them from Bill.

Think some confusion took place while reading my response. I was expounding on your comments and they seem to agree from the whole - painted non-painted description of parts that someone started long ago

Your comment - "Pic 7, A/C brackets are hard to see but they should not be painted all black. The bracket is bare cast iron ,"

I think you will find in your picture collection that the heater hose fitting was unique to 67 production year. It was a combination of two fittings that clocked the nipple outlet in a vertical position opposed to the more typical 45 degree that 68 on up were clocked at. It was a Mustang design and not a Shelby design(not sure how Shelby application would effect things). ......

Must report that I've not found that fitting installed on any of the 67 390 I have pictures of and I have over 100 of the GT500;s with the fitting your referring to.  Just reporting what I found - will find time to check a couple of other possible resources to continue the discussion   :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:43:58 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
preaction - As a follow up about the hot idle compensator not being present (attached) to the vacuum block between the thermactor and PCV Ford documents show that it was dropped from usage on Nov 11th on AC equipped and non-AC manual transmission without Thermactor. So both of your 67s (as listed in your signature) would have received the plug as you have it in your pictures. Just checking since I couldn't remember the date of the change
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:43:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle