Author Topic: Scuff Plates ~ 65-68, Original vs. Service Replacements and. Aftermarket  (Read 5672 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I tried a search but came up dry, looking to find identifying features of what would be accepted as Concours.

I did see a thread for the early 64-1/2 with square corners so obviously, I left that out of the discussion.

I have my originals for my 67 (presumably original but because I had them off multiple times, I could have switched them out had I noticed I had better looking ones to have used, don't remember though)

I have a pair of Corvex reproductions, with "Ford Licensed" logo plate

I have a pair of NOS Ford Service Replacemnts with shipping dates on the boxes of January, '98 that look very close to my originals

What I have noticed between the three I have on hand is that the aftermarket ones, the ends where they meet up to the windlace are not shaped at all the same. (see pictures) They are not notched like originals either so fitment at the ends is way off.
2nd difference I noticed are where the the pen in the pictures is pointing. Aftermarket ones are more squared off from either NOS or originals on this detail.
3rd difference, the logo plate. Color of blue is off and some finer details of the FoMoCo script as well is the brushed finish is off slightly. These details are difficult to see in pictures so I would say the reproduction logo plates may pass muster unless you are keen enough to notice these slight variations. (note: both original logo plates were missing, I have no images to share)

I hope this thread helps to produce better reproductions or to at least bring to the attention of restorers and judges the variations that are easiest to spot between the three (original,  NOS Ford Service Replacements & repops).

NOS parts Genuine Ford Service Replacement scuff plates are getting very scarce and prices are ridiculous on parts such as these that used to be very inexpensive. (when available through Ford)

Any other input from other original scuff plates or any other reproductions on the market would be great ;) As for me, I happened into these NOS OE Ford Service Replacement ones last week at what I thought to be a very good price so I am good. I see another pair of what is commonly known as NOS for sale on "the bay" for quite a sum and haven't noticed any NOS or Service Replacement sets for under $150 for years now. I hope there are better options still out there for restorers to go to.

Last Edit, made corrections for improper over-use of the term NOS
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:03:15 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Scuff Plates ~ 65-68, Original vs. Service Replacements and. Aftermarket
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
I have a set of Scott Drake-branded scuff plates if you'd like to see those.  These are the ones that were marketed as being heavier than original, polished stainless steel.  I got them from NPD around 2012.  They are listed in the NPD catalog as part number 013208-2C, "OE design in polished heavy gauge stainless steel."
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
The Corvex have always been the economy sill plates and fit/detail leaves a lot to be desired as you've shown.  I would guess the licensing has to do with the Ford label.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Scott302

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
Daniel Carpenter makes scuff plates from the original Ford tooling.  Our part 013208-2 for cpe/fbk and 013208-3 for cvt.
The Ford license is for the plate and the plate only.  The logo insert has to be sold separately from the scuff plate due to licensing restrictions.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »
Daniel Carpenter makes scuff plates from the original Ford tooling.  Our part 013208-2 for cpe/fbk and 013208-3 for cvt.
The Ford license is for the plate and the plate only.  The logo insert has to be sold separately from the scuff plate due to licensing restrictions.
Regards,
Scott

The image in your website listing doesn't do your product justice if it matches NOS ones. Nonetheless, as mentioned already, I am no longer in the hunt. My thoughts are simply along the lines of  "How many 'duds' do you buy before giving up and simply paying the premium for NOS?" It is difficult for me to wish to pass off the 'dud's' to a fellow Mustanger, knowing full well what crap it is. It would be nice if "budget-minded" junk weren't even out there at quality/reputable vendors such as your store Scott. You guys have always been fair with me. I have no serious complaints with NPD though I know you try your best to have both quality and budget parts available.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:26:32 PM »
Here is the picture that I have on our site showing the difference between the Ford Tooling and "economy" step plates.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-68-Mustang-Step-Plate-Coupe-and-Fastback-Made-in-the-Original-Ford-Tooling-P3091.aspx

Offline mustangted

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:31:24 PM »
I hardly call a part from 1998 nos
66 L6 Coupe, 06 v-6 coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »

Unfortunately plenty of people refer to any part with a Ford part sticker on it NOS  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »
Unfortunately plenty of people refer to any part with a Ford part sticker on it NOS  ::)

OK, should I have called the previously pictured side-by-side scuff plates something else? True that a box with a shipping date of 1-98 isn't exactly from the 60's but I simply tried to put context to what I see between original, the cheaper reproductions I have on hand and a set of Ford Produced Service Part.

Maybe one of you could explain what you see different between the examples I pictured better, than I did.  Please, have at it.

Here is the picture that I have on our site showing the difference between the Ford Tooling and "economy" step plates.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-68-Mustang-Step-Plate-Coupe-and-Fastback-Made-in-the-Original-Ford-Tooling-P3091.aspx

Thank you Brant for showing the differences from your catalog.
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »
OK, should I have called the previously pictured side-by-side scuff plates something else? True that a box with a shipping date of 1-98 isn't exactly from the 60's but I simply tried to put context to what I see between original, the cheaper reproductions I have on hand and a set of Ford Produced Service Part.

I was not commenting about your usage as much as I was making the observation, as we have in the past in other threads, about the different way individuals use or apply the term NOS. Sorry if you took this as personal criticism as it was surely not meant that way 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
I was not commenting about your usage as much as I was making the observation, as we have in the past in other threads, about the different way individuals use or apply the term NOS. Sorry if you took this as personal criticism as it was surely not meant that way

Not so much feeling " criticized" as wondering if there was a known difference from the later production Ford "Service Replacement" runs of this particular item. I understand how often NOS doesn't translate as "concours correct", but my eyes see no difference of the Service item I pictured earlier and the original one. Maybe I should simply begin using wording like "Ford Service Replacement" for such usage and perhaps quit using the term NOS ;)  I've made some modifications to some earlier posts to better reflect this.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:06:58 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
........... Maybe I should simply begin using wording like "Ford Service Replacement" for such usage and perhaps quit using the term NOS ;)  I've made some modifications to some earlier posts to better reflect this.

Not that anyone would notice but I've been trying to do the same in recent post unless I'm truly referring to period NOS parts
Jeff Speegle

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 03:32:15 AM »
Besides standing for "nitrous oxide system" NOS stands for "new old stock"--what part of "nos" does not apply to his sill plates ? I`m a little confused.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »
Some refer to NOS as meaning replacement parts made during or shortly after the cars were being made.  Basically, exact fit and appearance as what was installed at the assembly plant.  Although, the term has been used very loosely over the years, with most folks referring to anything in Ford packaging as NOS, no matter if it's an exact fit or not.  As we have found out over time, there can be multiple versions of Ford replacement parts, with some qualified as 'will work/function', but do not match what was installed at the assembly plant.

The thing is, not everyone is going to agree on the use of the term.  Best to be educated and know the differences in the parts and not worry about how someone labels them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Some refer to NOS as meaning replacement parts made during or shortly after the cars were being made.  Basically, exact fit and appearance as what was installed at the assembly plant.  Although, the term has been used very loosely over the years, with most folks referring to anything in Ford packaging as NOS, no matter if it's an exact fit or not.  As we have found out over time, there can be multiple versions of Ford replacement parts, with some qualified as 'will work/function', but do not match what was installed at the assembly plant.

The thing is, not everyone is going to agree on the use of the term.  Best to be educated and know the differences in the parts and not worry about how someone labels them.

+1  TRUE NOS items are a thing of the past by now unless you have someone that has "forgotten" about the part(s) they set aside some 40+ years ago. Very few "holy grails " left out there and if you find them bring your wallet and possibly a loan agent. I always think of NOS = $$$ ! ;D

Still, I am amazed at the prices these more recently produced Ford parts fetch. (Even if it was made yesterday) ;)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'