Author Topic: Original 1966 GT350 Grill?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline johnkn

Original 1966 GT350 Grill?
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »
I have what I was told was the original front grill on 6S383.   I can find no markings of any kind, were they marked with a part number, etc.?

thank you

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Original 1966 GT350 Grill?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
I have what I was told was the original front grill on 6S383.   I can find no markings of any kind, were they marked with a part number, etc.?

thank you
Same grill as used on regular 66 Mustang.You use the same criteria to determine if original assemblyline apposed to later service style as you would a regular Mustang .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline johnkn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
Yes sir, I understand they are the same.  I was unable to find anything here when searching to determine originality.  Thank you

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
Determining originality come down to inspecting the part... rivet style, paint over-spray pattern.  Sometimes an ink date stamp can be found.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline SFM6S0000

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:41:30 PM »
One clue might be that if the grille has never been repainted/painted over, that on a 66 Shelby, they (Shelby American) had to take lacquer thinner and wipe down the horizontal grille bars in the center of the grille to remove the paint on the leading edges. On a non-GT 66 Mustang, the horizontal bars are bare chrome on the leading edge, except they were left blacked out behind the corral so they didn't show. On a 66 Shelby, if they hadn't cleaned the paint off, there would have been this blacked out square showing in the center of the grill. I remember reading somewhere that when Shelby received the first batch of 66 grilles to use in the carryover cars, they panicked when they saw this black square in the middle of the grilles, until someone realized it was just paint over the chrome, and wiped it off. Not conclusive it came out of a Shelby, but could be an indicator on whether or not the story is true. Hope this helps.

Dave