Author Topic: Vapor Blasting  (Read 7363 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Vapor Blasting
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
Did a search ;) and it seems that we haven't discussed the use of vapor blasting to clean and restore aluminum and zinc pot metal items related to our cars.

Considering trying this after the holidays and wonder if anyone else has already had any experiences or if I get to be or designated guinea pig this time    ::)

Of course looking for the exposed aluminum to look new and fresh (expect to have to return the machined surfaces to the appropriate areas) look when done. Process states that the method leaves the pores in the metal closed unlike other methods with no change to size or shape though it appears that there is some texturing taking place. Yes read allot of the sales pitches. Luckily there are a few "local" shops that offer the process so I can take a field trip before I hand over my pieces. Seems to be popular in the motorcycle circles currently

Thanks for looking
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

Re: Vapor Blasting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
I would love to see this tried on a AT housing or a bell housing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:12:51 AM »
I would love to see this tried on a AT housing or a bell housing.

Might leave it too mono -tone for such a large piece but we'll see what the costs are and how much its going to cost me to experiment   ::)

Right now have a need for intake, valve covers and oil pan if it passes inspection and observation. Know pictures will not truly reflect what I'll be seeing in person   :(

Smaller stuff like Thermactor pump housings, fuel pump housing and carbs are a maybe. Just depends if they are charging for time, size or job.
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:13:03 AM »
Is this dry ice blasting you're referring to?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »
Is this dry ice blasting you're referring to?

No it's a blasting process using a slurry - referred to as vapor/liquid honing in the UK/Europe

Number of the places appear to be precleaning with other process - I would be interested in just using the vapor blasting for cleaning and finishing nothing else to change or alter the surface in between and of course the idea of having a finished product with closed pores

I know nothing about the following companies nor have any connection with them   ::)

A short video comparing glass bedding verses vapor

Surface roughness test comparison

Not what I would call restored but provides an example of what the process will do with different materials

Basic process information

https://rideapart.com/articles/restore-vintage-parts-vaporblast

http://www.restocycle.com/?_escaped_fragment_=#!

http://arnoldsdesign.com/Vapor-Blasting.html

http://www.vaporblastingequipment.com/wet-blasting/what-wetblasting-guide-vapor-blasting-process

Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
I researched it last year but never went any further. I also came across a few motorcycle forums where guys were using Pine-sol to clean cast aluminum. I tried the pine sol approach on some parts cast aluminum and pot metal parts and was pleasantly surprised. See this thread http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14200.0
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Shuskan3

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
Hi Jeff-

Did you ever have any parts vapor blasted? Thoughts on the process?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »
Hi Jeff-

Did you ever have any parts vapor blasted? Thoughts on the process?

No I haven't - plan was to find a bellhousing - cut it into sections and try different methods on each section to compare and discuss, Just haven't gotten to it :( 
I have a number of parts I'm going to need to restore at some point, really don't want to use those for the experiments 
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shuskan3

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
My dad just bought a machine and it should be delivered in a few weeks. I have a number of parts from my '66 GT that I plan on doing.

I'll share pictures once I do.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
My dad just bought a machine and it should be delivered in a few weeks. I have a number of parts from my '66 GT that I plan on doing.

I'll share pictures once I do.

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 03:50:51 AM »
I use vapour blasting for many parts. Here are a few examples I did a few days ago
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Is the solid media in the vapor blasting process glass based ? Glass bead maybe ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
Yes it is fine glass bead that the guy I go to uses. It is like a slurpy basically
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »
I use vapour blasting for many parts. Here are a few examples I did a few days ago

In your car's build thread you posted another picture with a bunch of different parts

That picture is interesting in that all of the parts (aluminum and steel) appear to have the same tone and look. If that is how aluminum parts come out I guess I won't try it for the pieces I was considering. Might be the glass bends since we have plenty of experience of what blasting with those does to the bare finish of aluminum. Just me but thanks for sharing.

Does look like it does a nice job for steel though it appears that if they are going to remain bare steel the finish is going to need some work to return it to fresh steel look rather than freshly cleaned ;)  look. But of course it could be the lighting, camera and angle playing part in what I'm seeing on my screeen
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »

In your car's build thread you posted another picture with a bunch of different parts

That picture is interesting in that all of the parts (aluminum and steel) appear to have the same tone and look. If that is how aluminum parts come out I guess I won't try it for the pieces I was considering. Might be the glass bends since we have plenty of experience of what blasting with those does to the bare finish of aluminum. Just me but thanks for sharing.

Does look like it does a nice job for steel though it appears that if they are going to remain bare steel the finish is going to need some work to return it to fresh steel look rather than freshly cleaned ;)  look. But of course it could be the lighting, camera and angle playing part in what I'm seeing on my screeen

Hi Jeff. FYI all of the parts in that photo are steel except for the oil filter housing which is aluminum, but that part was originally polished so it looks different. The thing I like about vapour blasting is that it does not leave the metal rough like traditional media blasting does.

Here is a transmission case before and after that I recently blasted with vapour. It's not a Mustang transmission case but will give you an idea of how aluminum turns out. Also the lighting can be very deceiving I find with reflections etc. Personally I like vapour blasting for any parts that are to remain bare metal especially aluminum. It's not for everything but has its place for sure. I sometime prefer electrolysis or vapours depending on the part
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:19:24 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike