Author Topic: Thermactor Hose - '67 289  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Deuce

Thermactor Hose - '67 289
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
On my '67 coupe, the Thermactor system is complete and functioning.  However, along the way the left-hand (LH) hose from the tee to the rear of the left Windsor cylinder head (Internal System) was replaced.  I'm looking for an original textured-skin LH hose that's serviceable.

In the attached "Air By-Pass System (1966/67)" tables from the Mannel book (p. C-25), it shows the correct hose markings and part numbers; with notes 8 & 9.  The correct length of this LH hose is 33 1/2".  All the used original textured-skin hoses I have found are much shorter and will not fit as originally configured.

Can anyone validate the length and numbers of this LH hose?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:53:36 PM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 7R02A

Re: Thermactor Hose - '67 289
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »
Short hose is 11.5" (right side of motor).  Long hose is 33.5" (left side).  Short hose only has a marking of 78FH.
Hope this helps,
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
Deuce - Don't forget to post an ad for the part in the WANTED section. Some will not respond to a request made in a regular thread ;)

Kind of confused (sorry forgive me) are you asking about the passenger or drivers side hose?  Guess posting both if I have them shouldn't hurt.

And finally just wanted to confirm that you have the internal Thermactor type heads. Sorry for all the questions just want to get ti right the first time.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Deuce

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
Kind of confused (sorry forgive me) are you asking about the passenger or drivers side hose?  Guess posting both if I have them shouldn't hurt.
And finally just wanted to confirm that you have the internal Thermactor type heads. Sorry for all the questions just want to get ti right the first time.

I'm referring to the drivers/left side Thermactor hose; 33 1/2" length.  (The pic that 7R02A posted above shows both the left and right hose with the tee fitting in the middle). 

Yes, this motor has  the internal air log; the 33 1/2" hose and short tube w/check valve connects to the rear of the left cylinder head. 

Thanks, and I'll post an ad in the Wanted section.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:53:31 AM by Deuce »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
Short hose is 11.5" (right side of motor).  Long hose is 33.5" (left side).  Short hose only has a marking of 78FH.....

Think you'll find that the hose marked 78FH is a replacement item

+++++++++++++++++++

Picture of the markings on both the drivers and passenger side with the internal type, since others will surely find this thread using search in the future and both may help

Hope this helps

Though it doesn't look like it at first glance these are two different examples

Jeff Speegle

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
Hi Jeff, I believe this may require further discussion to fully understand.  I believe at this point that my short hose going from the TEE to the passenger side is original and the Ford part number has worn off.  Please see attached picture from MustangTek of the short hose.  It shows the part number (appeared to be the same number as the unrestored example you posted in this thread) and the stamped number 78FH on the same hose next to each other.  The 78FH matches exactly what is on my hose.

The other thing that is confussing is you posted a picture of the drive side hose that isn't what I expected either.  The hose that runs to the drive side from the Tee, by my research was a smooth hose that had 4 grooves in it.  See attached picture from a unrestored car that was posted prior showing this detail.  It is consistent with what I have found on other unrestored cars from that plant and time.  The picture you posted is of what I believe is the hose running from the gulp valve to the Tee.  It's hard to read the number from the pictures, but the texture of the hose is more costistent with the other hoses and not the one going from the Tee to the drive side check valve.

Not trying to be contradictive, but want want to make sure the information is correct for future viewers and that I fully understand.

Thanks,
John

John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
Hi Jeff, I believe this may require further discussion to fully understand. 

No problem -

I believe at this point that my short hose going from the TEE to the passenger side is original and the Ford part number has worn off.  Please see attached picture from MustangTek of the short hose.  It shows the part number (appeared to be the same number as the unrestored example you posted in this thread) and the stamped number 78FH on the same hose next to each other.  The 78FH matches exactly what is on my hose.

Have never found a red marking on an original Thermactor hose from 67 and the pattern and the red matches other service replacement hoses including Motorcraft ones also. Must admit that Mustang Tek doesn't always post the most correct pictures but often best they have available. Its a big job and lots of details to keep an eye open for

The other thing that is confussing is you posted a picture of the drive side hose that isn't what I expected either.

Interesting since only posted that one of the markings in the other picture of the passenger side I only showed approx a third of the diameter and for only about 2 inches of the hose.   Of course never posted pictures of those hoses since I was focusing on just the passenger and its not unusual for one hose to be correct and the other not. Never said those hoses were both correct/original and the reason the pictures were cropped pretty close ;)

The hose that runs to the drive side from the Tee, by my research was a smooth hose that had 4 grooves in it.

Have seen 3-6 ribs which identify the supplier. Don't agree all had the same number of ribs no more than the radiator hoses all having the same number as well as a dozen of other examples through 1973 applications. Examples of Thermactor hose ribs below.

Picture of a drivers side taken in 67. Not sure why its already been modified  (AC bracket and in turn the hose retainer clamp and hardware)

See attached picture from a unrestored car that was posted prior showing this detail.  It is consistent with what I have found on other unrestored cars from that plant and time.  The picture you posted is of what I believe is the hose running from the gulp valve to the Tee.  It's hard to read the number from the pictures, but the texture of the hose is more costistent with the other hoses and not the one going from the Tee to the drive side check valve.

Yellow printing on that one is interesting and may indicate what the date was printed on that one and we don't see that on any of the others.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:29:54 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

Have never found a red marking on an original Thermactor hose from 67 and the pattern and the red matches other service replacement hoses including Motorcraft ones also. Must admit that Mustang Tek doesn't always post the most correct pictures but often best they have available. Its a big job and lots of details to keep an eye open for

Sorry, I was just highlighting the text with red to make it stand out.  The printing is in white on the hose and is embossed into it.  I.e. You can catch your fingernail on it.  This is for the 78FH only.  The part number stamping and Ford logo are gone on my hose.

Interesting since only posted that one of the markings in the other picture of the passenger side I only showed approx a third of the diameter and for only about 2 inches of the hose.   Of course never posted pictures of those hoses since I was focusing on just the passenger and its not unusual for one hose to be correct and the other not. Never said those hoses were both correct/original and the reason the pictures were cropped pretty close ;)

Have seen 3-6 ribs which identify the supplier. Don't agree all had the same number of ribs no more than the radiator hoses all having the same number as well as a dozen of other examples through 1973 applications. Examples of Thermactor hose ribs below.

It seems their was multiple possibilities on the types of hoses?  Do you have pictures specifically around Dec of '66 for San Jose?  This is the time period I'm focusing on.  I have pictures of a unrestored car that was built within days of mine and it has hoses exactly like mine.  This plus other unrestored 67 threads listed below is what drew me to the conclusion that my hoses where correct. 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11910.msg72029#msg72029
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8272.msg47995#msg47995

Thank you for taking the time to discuss.
John
John

Offline Deuce

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
It seems their was multiple possibilities on the types of hoses?  Do you have pictures specifically around Dec of '66 for San Jose?

Took these photos today under the hood of my SJ Dec '66 C-code. 

The first pic below is the driver side Thermactor hose with three ribs; there are no other visible markings.  Based on today's discussion, this may be an original hose.  (The reason I started this post is because I thought this hose needed replacing with an original hose).

The second pic below is a close-up of the passenger side Thermactor hose with a 78FH marking; although not the best stamping.  There are no other visible markings.  I believe this hose has always been on this car.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:16:33 PM by Deuce »
Deuce

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

Did some following up, the last few hours.
For everybody a happy new year and a great health with many good Mustang moments  ;)

Do not know if it still mathers, but here are some close up pictures of the hoses that are in my possession.
I am not sure (at all!) that those hoses are the originals, but they came with the car in a box when I bought it, assuring that they came off that car  ::)
But it is a fact that the hose that goes to the driver side intake is much 'smoother' than the one that goes to the passenger side intake.
There is also a 'Fomoco' stamp on the hose to the driver side.
So, I let the experts decide if they are relevant or not.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Deuce

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
There is also a 'Fomoco' stamp on the hose to the driver side.
So, I let the experts decide if they are relevant or not.

Jeroen,
Resurrecting this thread after several months.  Thanks for the detailed photos.  I'm going to be removing the Thermactor hoses to do some cleaning and I'll look for a FoMoCo stamp on the driver side hose.  Curious where the FoMoCo stamp was located on your driver side hose; e.g., front, middle or rear section.

Thanks,
Deuce

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Hello Richard,

I'll check the hoses tomorrow and get back to you asap!
Kind regards,

Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
Here is a picture of another hose I picked up from an unrestored 67.  Stamp is on the outside edge per picture and has the 78FH stamped on it on the reverse side too. 
John
John

Offline Deuce

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »
Nice pic and clear stampings, especially for a 50 year-old Thermactor hose.  Thanks for posting. Hoses on my 67 are well-used and most of the stampings are faded away.  Not complaining though, at least the hoses weren't removed over the years and are still functional. Nice Wittek clamps too, replated?
Deuce

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »
Jeroen,
Resurrecting this thread after several months.  Thanks for the detailed photos.  I'm going to be removing the Thermactor hoses to do some cleaning and I'll look for a FoMoCo stamp on the driver side hose.  Curious where the FoMoCo stamp was located on your driver side hose; e.g., front, middle or rear section.

The drivers side may have been cut from bulk hose (markings more randomly placed/situated) than the passenger side which appears to be a specific length and formed

Just a possibility. Check my pictures for a marked drivers side and came up with none. Box is a little hot outside to see if I have any laying around
Jeff Speegle