Author Topic: Center console/upper shifter boot  (Read 1648 times)

Offline 68NordicCat

Center console/upper shifter boot
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:48 AM »
Anyone have a good picture of what the final assembly of the 4spd shifter/boot/console/carpet looks like? The console does not completely cover the upper boot and assembly manuals aren't clear (at least that I've found) on how this goes together. Since the opening in the console is larger than the boot, how is the carpet trimmed and what do you see in the shifter opening?

Thanks

Dan
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline ruppstang

Re: Center console/upper shifter boot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
The carpet is cut just as if you do not have a console. The chrome trim plate that rest in the bottom corrugation of the boot is used with or with out the console.
Hope this helps.
Marty

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
Yes that does help. The car didn't have that trim ring and the carpet was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Also one of the things I didn't document that well with pictures - seem to have a much better feel for what to take pictures of now :P. Would still like to see a shot of a finished 4 speed console if possible. Thanks.
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »
....... Would still like to see a shot of a finished 4 speed console if possible. Thanks.

Not sure what details it will provide but here you are

3 Speed example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Hi to everyone.  I am new to the site, though I have been a lurker here for a while.  I hope I am not braking protocol by not introducing myself in a designated thread somewhere? :)
There is a lot of good info here even though I have a 67 cougar, not mustang. Decided to join and not lurk to find some specific answers to my questions, that I am not finding elsewhere. This thread happens to be one of the questions, and though it does help, I am still left wondering.  Trying to figure out how to specifically trim the cut carpet around the shift boot on a 4-speed console car.  A close up picture down into the hole would be nice to see how things all look when done. 
Marty, is this the trim piece your talking about that would get used?
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/19shborere.html?attribs=75
This states that it was used in Mustangs without a console.  Also states Cougar would have used something a little fancier, and they offer that, but again states non-console car.  I know I test fitted my console over the carpet to see how things were going to fit, being that the new underlays are no where near as thick these days than original, and I am not using the mass backed carpet.  There is a pretty good gap between the console bezel, and carpet, and I am sure that back in the day that didn't all get sealed up.  Black hole  for stuff to fall into :)  I doubt this piece would fill all that.  Not positive either if it would fill the whole rectangle opening of the top bezel either, but I don't have one to try, unless I buy one.  J_Speegle, like the pics attached.  These old consoles are cool and artwork themselves IMO!  Just would like to see a more detailed picture in the "Black hole"
Thanks for your time and the great site. 
David
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:49:43 PM by pellets4fuel »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
Hi to everyone.  I am new to the site, though I have been a lurker here for a while.  I hope I am not braking protocol by not introducing myself in a designated thread somewhere? :)
There is a lot of good info here even though I have a 67 cougar, not mustang. Decided to join and not lurk to find some specific answers to my questions, that I am not finding elsewhere. This thread happens to be one of the questions, and though it does help, I am still left wondering.  Trying to figure out how to specifically trim the cut carpet around the shift boot on a 4-speed console car.  A close up picture down into the hole would be nice to see how things all look when done. 
This states that it was used in Mustangs without a console.  Also states Cougar would have used something a little fancier, and they offer that, but again states non-console car.  I know I test fitted my console over the carpet to see how things were going to fit, being that the new underlays are no where near as thick these days than original, and I am not using the mass backed carpet.  There is a pretty good gap between the console bezel, and carpet, and I am sure that back in the day that didn't all get sealed up.  Black hole  for stuff to fall into :)  I doubt this piece would fill all that.  Not positive either if it would fill the whole rectangle opening of the top bezel either, but I don't have one to try, unless I buy one.  J_Speegle, like the pics attached.  These old consoles are cool and artwork themselves IMO!  Just would like to see a more detailed picture in the "Black hole"
David

Yes that is the trim piece I was referring to. As far as I know the same piece was used for consoles. There was nothing more, the console top that returned downward about 3/4 of a inch. There has to be some room around the boot for shift positions.
Welcome to the site we like Cougars here too.
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
David
I always cut it to the size of the bottom fold of the shifter boot but I wanted to be sure since you were asking specifically. I just checked the cut in a original 4 speed front carpet I keep as a pattern and the square hole was approximately 2 1/4 inches . The size coincidently is the same size as the bottom fold in the shifter boot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Bob,
Thanks!  I will aim for that size once I fit carpet.  Start with small slit first, just big enough to allow shifter to pass :)  So are you possibly saying you don't use a trim piece as Marty is pointing out, just cut the carpet tight to fit into the bottom indent rib on the rubber boot?  Still wouldn't mind seeing a close up pic down the hole of someone's sometime.
David

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Bob,
Thanks!  I will aim for that size once I fit carpet.  Start with small slit first, just big enough to allow shifter to pass :)  So are you possibly saying you don't use a trim piece as Marty is pointing out, just cut the carpet tight to fit into the bottom indent rib on the rubber boot?  Still wouldn't mind seeing a close up pic down the hole of someone's sometime.
David
Yes to having a trim ring .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
So do you know if this also would have been true of the 67 std Cougar, (not XR7) as it has the same console, just the addition of pads?  The guys at WCCC (cougar parts store)  are insistent that nothing additional goes under the console 4 speed plate.  Just shift boot on tunnel, cut carpet (I suppose tight enough hole to fit in boot corrugation) then console over the top.
Thanks again!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
So do you know if this also would have been true of the 67 std Cougar, (not XR7) as it has the same console, just the addition of pads?  The guys at WCCC (cougar parts store)  are insistent that nothing additional goes under the console 4 speed plate.  Just shift boot on tunnel, cut carpet (I suppose tight enough hole to fit in boot corrugation) then console over the top.
Thanks again!
Mustang yes. You will have to get Cougar conformation from someone else.