Author Topic: Newbie here with a few restoration questions  (Read 1696 times)

Offline 6S1284

Newbie here with a few restoration questions
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi everyone -
I am in the process of restoring my 66 Hertz Car that I have had for 30 years.   It is not a concours resto but I want it to be as correct as possible.  I have posted some questions on other forums that have not been answered.

Is there anyway to determine Ford bumper guards - I don't know if mine are original or not?
Would Hertz cars have the short or long base Rotunda mirror ?

Does anyone know what the attached photos of markings on the car mean?

TIA for your help and dedication to the hobby-

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Newbie here with a few restoration questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your concours related needs and efforts

I am in the process of restoring my 66 Hertz Car that I have had for 30 years.   It is not a concours resto but I want it to be as correct as possible.  I have posted some questions on other forums that have not been answered.

Is there anyway to determine Ford bumper guards - I don't know if mine are original or not?

Might want to post that one in the general 65-6 section will likely get more eyes on it there ;)

If you use the search or just start reading there is allot of information already covered in earlier posts

Pictures

1- Fender hanger number. was placed on both frame rails at San Jose in 65-66. Different set of numbers (reoccuring) on each side only using specific numbers not all from 0-9

Prior threads - there are more ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2257.msg11576#msg11576

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9105.msg53372#msg53372

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14235.msg88463#msg88463

2- When was your car possibly built?  What part of the car is that from? With that we may be of help though it looks like a notation rather than a paint mark but will wait for your reply. Might be mark applied by "that guy"  ::)

3- Indicated that the steering box bolts had been tightened and check by another 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:05:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Probably rotation numbers, my Oct 18 San Jose build "K" Fastback had 42 on both sides.
Original bumper guards have only "R" and "L" metal stamped at the bottom, nothing else. NOS - who knows. I would recommend getting your originals re-chromed if there are no major "dings".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »
Hi everyone -

TIA for your help and dedication to the hobby-

Dave

Dave,

As mentioned, the assembly line bumper guards are marked "R" and "L"...note that this is for the fronts. Ford NOS parts and reproductions will not be marked. If you choose to have them rechromed, make sure someone will do the job without filling or polishing out the letter.

Here is a picture of one (it's stamped on the bottom...not the greatest picture):

The outside mirrors are considered "short base". As far as I know, the "long base" version was created by the reproduction market to cover the holes if a standard outside mirror was previously used.

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
Dave,

As mentioned, the assembly line bumper guards are marked "R" and "L"...note that this is for the fronts. Ford NOS parts and reproductions will not be marked. If you choose to have them rechromed, make sure someone will do the job without filling or polishing out the letter.

Here is a picture of one (it's stamped on the bottom...not the greatest picture):

The outside mirrors are considered "short base". As far as I know, the "long base" version was created by the reproduction market to cover the holes if a standard outside mirror was previously used.

Brant,

This is so helpful.   The pictures do it.  !
Thanks !