Author Topic: Vinyl Dye Sheen  (Read 1264 times)

Offline OldMustangGuy

Vinyl Dye Sheen
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
I have a 68 dash pad that I'm freshening up. Because of some marks and stains, cleaning alone wasn't sufficient to get it looking good. I hit it with a coat of the NPD vinyl dye....color is black in this case. It seems like the finished product is too shiny but all I can compare it with is how the old pad looked so I'm not totally sure how shiny is "too shiny".

What's everyone's experience with the NPD product in terms of accurate finish? Any other recommendations if it isn't the way to go?...I can easily strip it and apply something else if there's a more appropriate product.

Thanks!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Vinyl Dye Sheen
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
You can knock down a sheen by vigorously wiping the painted or dyed surface with the interior of a paper bag from the grocery store.  What have you got to lose if you're unhappy with the result you currently have? 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
I was in the shop when I saw your post so I tried it...I probably did something wrong but the paper bag technique left visible marks....so, under the category of, as you say, "what do I have to lose?, I grabbed a piece of 4/0 steel wool and lightly rubbed it with that. I think that might be the ticket....the area I hit looks really good.Has anyone else tried that?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
Vinyl dye is not supposed to be sprayed wet.  Several light coats for coverage will yield nice results.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »
That's probably my real problem...too heavy of a coat...I think I'll strip it off and give it another go.

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:44:58 PM »
So I completely stripped the NPD stuff off with lacquer thinner and started over with SEM Satin Black vinyl dye. Huge difference in appearance. The SEM stuff is spot on. I'm not sure exactly what I had from NPD as it was in one of their house labeled cans but it was definitely not correct.