Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Autolite Battery 24 trouble

(1/9) > >>

Ralf:
Hi,
have an Autolite Battery (seems repro) which I have some trouble with. Problems with starting the car. Seems battery has not enough power anymore.
Charged, has 13,3 V than....drops to 12,5 V in 2 days (battery outside the car).
Always thought the batterie is service free and none of the caps can be opened.
Today I figured out that one cap can be opened......don't know if other caps can be opened as well....by hand no way....to strong.
See pics.
Block shows no liquid inside.....acid/water....
Anything I can do here to recover battery? Not really familiar with batteries.

67gtasanjose:
You NOW have what is known in the Mustang world as a Mazda Miata battery case. You should be able to find a thread (at this site) on how to gut the case and install the Miata battery inside...or buy another repro and hope for the best ;)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Ralf on March 27, 2017, 04:45:30 PM ---Hi,
have an Autolite Battery (seems repro) which I have some trouble with. Problems with starting the car. Seems battery has not enough power anymore.
Charged, has 13,3 V than....drops to 12,5 V in 2 days (battery outside the car).
Always thought the batterie is service free and none of the caps can be opened.
Today I figured out that one cap can be opened......don't know if other caps can be opened as well....by hand no way....to strong.
See pics.
Block shows no liquid inside.....acid/water....
Anything I can do here to recover battery? Not really familiar with batteries.

--- End quote ---
the repro batteries are of the maintenance free variety that are sealed up inside a period looking Autolite case. The caps are typically glue on so you can't remove them . You can't top off this type of battery with water or acid like you could the old style batteries.

rcgt350:
How old is your battery?

Ralf:

--- Quote from: rcgt350 on March 27, 2017, 11:34:53 PM ---How old is your battery?

--- End quote ---
Unable to answer, bought the car in 2014, battery was already in there...guess 5 years. Hm,  how I could open one cap...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version