Author Topic: '65 styled wheel vs. '66 styled wheels  (Read 4058 times)

Offline socalgt

'65 styled wheel vs. '66 styled wheels
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
The car I'm in the process of purchasing has '65 styled, fully chromed rims.  I understand there is no physical difference, other than the '66 styled wheels are not chromed, but painted black where the trim rings cover....is that correct?  Assuming it is, to prepare '65(fully chromed) wheels to accept the '66 trim rings I thought of masking them off and Bede blasting the areas where the trim rings attach and painting them black there to allow them to grip and stay in place.  Any one tried this, or similar method to allow the '65 rims to accept the trim rings?

Offline jwc66k

Re: '65 styled wheel vs. '66 styled wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
There's more darker area on a 66 Style Steel Wheel than just the outer rim. The area where the five lug nuts go is a charcoal brown (it's darker) so the wheel stands out. A 65 wheel is argent in those areas. The trim ring should slip in but you may have too much chrome/argent visible. Bead blasting chrome is also a futile task. Chrome is hard. It may not work.
See attached for 66 Style Steel Wheels.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
Thanks for the info....guess I'll find original '66 Styled wheels/trim rings and pass these along to someone needing '65 wheels.  I do have a set of original '67 styled wheels/trim rings, which,  although incorrect, will fit...just be a bit wider (5 1/2")

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:38:11 PM »
I do have a set of original '67 styled wheels/trim rings, which,  although incorrect, will fit...just be a bit wider (5 1/2")
That's what I have on my 66 Hardtop, with P225/60R14 rubber. It's difficult to tell the difference unless there's a 66 Wheel close by.
Jim
PS - It's a daily driver.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:49:38 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dsielke

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »
Before you change out the rims make sure of the date of your 1966 Mustang and be sure the rims are not original to the car. The argent to charcoal was a running change as well, 65s did have charcoal inserts. Also, early 66 Mustang did come with full chrome rims. Charles can give a more exact date but I believe the trim rings / black painted rims were a running change around the end of November 1965, at least at the San Jose plant.
6R09A138419: 1966 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow
6R08T138429: 1966 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:34:02 AM »
Before you change out the rims make sure of the date of your 1966 Mustang and be sure the rims are not original to the car. The argent to charcoal was a running change as well, 65s did have charcoal inserts. Also, early 66 Mustang did come with full chrome rims. Charles can give a more exact date but I believe the trim rings / black painted rims were a running change around the end of November 1965, at least at the San Jose plant.
This is the original spare from my Oct 65 San Jose K Fastback with the original dual red line tire and original Style Steel wheel. The other wheels are the same, trim ring, charcoal paint.
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Along these same lines, has anyone re-chromed a complete original 66 Steel Style wheel and then as the OP mentioned, only have them buff and polish the center area and then paint the outer areas black over the chrome to match the originals? I know you can't take these apart and also would need to add back the argent color after everything. But I was curious if anyone's done this to a set of originals to restore them, meaning ofd course if they were in decent shape to begin with without major pitting in the chrome.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
Along these same lines, has anyone re-chromed a complete original 66 Steel Style wheel and then as the OP mentioned, only have them buff and polish the center area and then paint the outer areas black over the chrome to match the originals? I know you can't take these apart and also would need to add back the argent color after everything. But I was curious if anyone's done this to a set of originals to restore them, meaning ofd course if they were in decent shape to begin with without major pitting in the chrome.
It's expensive. Try http://www.wheeltechniques.com/ I've not used them but know of several that have and were satisfied.
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
It's expensive. Try http://www.wheeltechniques.com/ I've not used them but know of several that have and were satisfied.
Jim

Hmmm, interesting, never really thought about a shop doing the whole job, I'll have to reach out to them for a quote to see. I would assume they send out for the re-chroming work since no where in California does chrome anymore because of the regulations, that's why I was thinking of doing everything else but the chroming.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:18:59 PM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
I would assume they send out for the re-chroming work since no where in California does chrome anymore because of the regulations, that's why I was thinking of doing everything else but the chroming.
Jason,
I know of at least four chrome shops in the San Jose area that do everything right here. One shop owner did tell me that it costs him about $7000 a month to be in compliance with California regulations. A couple of other shops send their chrome to the Central Valley, less regulation costs, lower labor costs. It's my understanding that in Southern California, chrome work is done in Mexico (Gee, I wonder why?).
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
Just for future readers of this thread, the shop Jim recommended doesn't do any re-chroming work anymore. I talked to a guy on the phone and all they do now is straightening, polishing, and painting of wheels.

Jim, I'll PM you for the info you have on other shops and who you think does solid re-chroming work in our area.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
Just for future readers of this thread, the shop Jim recommended doesn't do any re-chroming work anymore. I talked to a guy on the phone and all they do now is straightening, polishing, and painting of wheels.
Jason,
Noted. Thanks.
I'll PM you for the info you have on other shops and who you think does solid re-chroming work in our area.
Two of the other shop do bumpers only. In getting the phone number for a third, their website says they went out of business on 8/3/17.
In talking with another Mustang restorer, he says try in the central valley. That's Jeff's territory.
Jim

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking at chroming 66 wheels for my 64.5 and so I thought I'd check to see if  anyone that was part of the original discussion  knew if re-chroming the whole 66 wheel without separating the two sections would be successful. Anyone had it done in Western Canada or Northern Washington?

Glenn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking at chroming 66 wheels for my 64.5 and so I thought I'd check to see if  anyone that was part of the original discussion  knew if re-chroming the whole 66 wheel without separating the two sections would be successful. Anyone had it done in Western Canada or Northern Washington?

Glenn

Not sure if it would be possible not to get the outer ring plated in the process, the gap between the inner and outer plated over and the affect on how the two were joined together. None of these would be something you would want to see on a finished wheel. Plus buffing the finish around and at the joint between the two would be very difficult but but doable since we use to be able to buy chromed Chevy Rally Wheels but don't know if those were new or chromed new wheels
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:06:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Are the 65 and 66 wheels identical except for the 66 not having the outer ring chromed? My intent was to have the outer ring chromed to match the 65's so that I wouldn't use the trim rings i am now.. i Like the idea but don't want to sacrifice what I have to experimentation so it you thing the gap will end up messed up, I'll just stay with them the way they are now and repaint the recessed areas. The chrome is still in pretty good condition.

Glenn