Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

1969 cougar underdash wiring question

(1/2) > >>

Coralsnake:
Is it correct to say the XR7 is the equivalent of a GT Mustang?

How many different underdash harnesses were used on the 1969 Cougars?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Coralsnake on June 11, 2017, 09:35:27 AM ---Is it correct to say the XR7 is the equivalent of a GT Mustang?
--- End quote ---

I think the equivalent was closer to the Mach I package rather than the GT since the Mach I included different interior features as well as suspension and exterior where the GT package had no upgrade/changes to the interior of a Mustang ordered with that package

--- Quote from: Coralsnake on June 11, 2017, 09:35:27 AM ---How many different underdash harnesses were used on the 1969 Cougars?

--- End quote ---

Would only guess that you would have the four different types as you did in Mustangs during 69 but I can't be sure.

Thing there is a factory (large format) wiring book around that covers both Mustang and Cougar but would guess that you already have a copy of that book also.

If not could toss it in the luggage for later in the week ;) so you could get a look at it

Coralsnake:
Thanks for the information. I know a few Shelbys got the Cougar dash installed, so I am doing a little research on the interchange. I will let you know what I find.

midlife:

--- Quote from: Coralsnake on June 12, 2017, 06:34:49 PM ---Thanks for the information. I know a few Shelbys got the Cougar dash installed, so I am doing a little research on the interchange. I will let you know what I find.

--- End quote ---
From the factory?  Wow...

I have converted a 69 Cougar to Mustang underdash harness and vowed never to attempt to do that again; there were too many changes, even for the simplest of Cougar harnesses.  There's at least two if not three or more different Cougar harnesses for almost every year.  I believe in 69 there are subtle changes in the dash cluster connector wiring, which uses different colored circuit boards on the back of the dash clusters, even though the clusters themselves are the same.  Talk about a cluster-f@!*

krelboyne:
I believe there are 8 different 1969 Mercury Cougar under dash harnesses (Ford number 14401).
There are early and late versions. Identified by the color of the plug, either white or black, which must match the printed circuit board of the instrument cluster. Red printed circuit boards go with white plugs, blue printed circuit boards go with black plugs.
XR7 (and Eliminator) is different than Standard model Cougars.
Additionally, all versions came with or without air conditioning.

I knew about the Quarter Horse Mustang, but not the Shelby's with Cougar dash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version