Author Topic: 1966 speedometer inaccurate  (Read 1159 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 speedometer inaccurate
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
My speedometer reads from accurate to 10 or more mph too high, never on the low side.  It does occasionally read correctly, but not for long.   It really doesn't "jump around", it's just almost always steadily indicating too high.  From what I've read, attempts to lubricate the cable don't usually fix this problem and it ends up needing a new speedometer head.  Is that the consensus from those that have tried to repair the inaccuracy by lubricating or installing a new cable?  (Factory rims w/205/70R/14) original speedometer, automatic 3.00 rear end ratio.

Thanks...

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:32:42 PM by socalgt »

Offline rocket289k

Re: 1966 speedometer inaccurate
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
Hi There,

Aside from your comment that the speedometer is "sometimes" correct this really sounds like you have the incorrect gear on your speedo cable.  The P205 is larger than the factory original tire.  A P195 75/R14 is the closest that you can to the correct size and ride height on a  65 or 66 when using P-metric sized tires.

West Coast Classic Cougar has a handy calculator on their website to help you determine the correct number of teeth you need on the speedo cable gear based on your tire dimensions.

http://www.classic-cougar.com/tools/speedocalc/speedocalc.php

To determine your tire diameter in inches use this site:  https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Based on the information that you provided you need a speedometer gear with 19 teeth.  I'd start with the speedometer cable gear to ensure that it is correctly sized and not worn and then move on to the cable and the speedo head itself in diagnosing this issue.

Regards,

Ron

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:13:02 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
Thanks....I would have thought it was the gear also, except that the needle sometimes wanders from 55 all the way to 80.  I'll try to remove the cable from the speedometer and lubricate the speedometer itself where the cable enters.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
Thanks....I would have thought it was the gear also, except that the needle sometimes wanders from 55 all the way to 80.  I'll try to remove the cable from the speedometer and lubricate the speedometer itself where the cable enters.
Remove, thoroughly clean the tube and cable in solvent and inspect for signs of wear. When reinstalling, be leery of oil based lubricants, they solidify over time, and attract and retain dirt. I prefer a dry type, graphite for example. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.