Author Topic: 1969 NJ Mustang Mach 1 Find  (Read 809 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 NJ Mustang Mach 1 Find
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
The gray primer floorboards on the underside held up well too. If I recall looking at other threads this was a New Jersey thing too. It threw me off at first not seeing the red oxide. I learned through this website that it should be gray. Cool stuff!

Was referring to the picture from the interior side not from the bottom

In the picture provided its not really clear what the base coat is but would be really surprised if what you find (if there is a corner or hidden spot away from the oversprays and rust that wasn't red oxide. Sure you will be digging into the details as you go through the process with the car 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »
Nice find! 

I can tell that you two have a bright future together.

Does the engine turn over?  I have a Harbor fright Bore scope that works well for peeking inside cylinders, hopefully it was pickled before she was temporary retired.

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »
Was referring to the picture from the interior side not from the bottom

In the picture provided its not really clear what the base coat is but would be really surprised if what you find (if there is a corner or hidden spot away from the oversprays and rust that wasn't red oxide. Sure you will be digging into the details as you go through the process with the car

Sorry if i sound confused Jeff. So your saying the car "SHOULD' be red oxide? Looks Gray.

jim

1969 Mach 1 , 390, 4 SPD. Silver Jade, White Interior
VIN #9TO2S1XXXXX, Metuchen Built 10/24/68

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Nice find! 

I can tell that you two have a bright future together.

Does the engine turn over?  I have a Harbor fright Bore scope that works well for peeking inside cylinders, hopefully it was pickled before she was temporary retired.

Yes indeed a long and meaningful relationship at that too...lol!

Yes the motor turned. It took some muscle but she moved. (no pickle juice, she was put away raw, dry and forgotten about.)

jim

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »
She is finally de-pooped, stink free, clean, dry and moved into her new garage.

The motor and trans are on the schedule for removal this Sunday.

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »
Ok Jeff , I think I figured out what you meant about finding red oxide. I found red oxide on the back side of the fenders. Here are some good pics for all who like to see.

Also found some new markings.

1) a number 2 in yellow crayon on passenger side fender apron and another number 2 Behind passenger headlight area

2) another number 4 in pink crayon on passenger fender apron.

3) another number 262 behind driver headlight area

Input welcome

Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Ok Jeff , I think I figured out what you meant about finding red oxide. I found red oxide on the back side of the fenders. Here are some good pics for all who like to see.

Would expect to find some of the same (similar shade possibly) on the bottom of the car also

Also found some new markings.

1) a number 2 in yellow crayon on passenger side fender apron and another number 2 Behind passenger headlight area

2) another number 4 in pink crayon on passenger fender apron.

Kind of a NJ marking see it more on 68 NJ cars only since I see more of them when we consider Shelbys

3) another number 262 behind driver headlight area
[/quote]

That would be the second rotation number. You may find it many places or on the build sheet in the upper left corner if you find one. Different plants did different things (placement and number of them applied to the car and parts) with this number to identify the main body and parts

Thanks for sharing - pretty much supporting details we've seen on other cars

NOTE: Since is becoming an ongoing thread and I hope it will continue going to move it to the Member Restorations/Builds area of this site. WIll leave this link up for a shile so those that are following will not think we dumped the thread only moved it to a more appropriate location ;)

Thanks for sharing - discover is always a fun part of a project
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)