Author Topic: Paint Questions 1990  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Paint Questions 1990
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
What brand of paint did Ford use on 1990 Mustangs? I need to repaint the roof of my 90 GT in Ultra Blue and want to replicate Factory materials. Does anyone know the Color Code for Ultra Blue?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Paint Questions 1990
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »
I have been told for many years that car manufactures use several different brands of paint on the line at any given time. I have heard stories they shop for the lowest bidder on different pigment and toners and may use a different brand clear coat all together. The important thing is you get a good color match and texture as your original. The color code should be listed on the door data tag. I would take a good sample of the color on your car to your local paint store and have them use a color spectrometer on it to get at least a blendable match. Some paint companies use sprayed out color chips to match up paint as well.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
Thank you Chris. I was hoping that it was more cut and dry on the brand Ford used in that time period. If I just have to choose a brand, then Sikkens is most likely what I will go with. I have the color code from the door jamb sticker but was wondering if there was a specific color code number used, such as a Ditzler number or whatever kinda number is used in that sense. I see Ditzler numbers tossed around everywhere and assumed it was some sort of chart numbering system instead of an actual brand. Could be wrong there, I'm not a professional auto painter or anything. I will be having a friend do my roof.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:56 AM »
I'm not sure of the brand or type, but a good painter should be able to match the color and orange peel. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline simplyconnected

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 01:24:42 AM »
In Sept. 1986, Du Pont bought the Ford Mount Clemens (MI) Paint Plant.  Du Pont continued supplying Ford the paint for at least half of Ford's requirements.
This is not unusual because any production operation cannot buy from just one supplier, for obvious reasons.

The type of paint Ford used was a bake-cure at 250-degrees F.  This kind of heat will melt/distort plastic on an assembled car so aftermarket paint is typically two-part (epoxy) paint that cures without heat.  - Dave
Dave Dare, Ford Motor Co., Dearborn - pensioned.
Now, Webmaster of Squarebirds.org but trying to be retired.