Author Topic: Orange peel question.  (Read 1024 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Orange peel question.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
How do you judge the amount of orange peel? To much, to little or spot on?

It's a range one looks for like paint overspray, sound deadener application or the amount of gloss or flatness in some of the semi-gloss finishes .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:08:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruger

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks everyone.  My problem is that when my car was painted the orange peel was heavier in some areas and in others the paint was pretty slick.  Possibly due to my smaller air compressor.  Overall I am happy with the paint but am in a situation due to the slicker part of the painted areas.  I sanded down the heavy peel to a more reasonable appearance.  I do have orange peel but just not over the entire car.  For instance,  somehow the side scoops look pretty slick.  I just can't justify going back and respraying these areas again. 
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D body code  D exclusive to the E' series
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline 65,66,67UNRESTORED

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
If you are over restoring your car spend many hours aligning/fitting body body panels, block sanding primer and sanding your paint finish smooth and buffing to a high luster. Early Mustangs are very easy cars to do a correct restoration on as the body panel finish and alignment was mediocre and all panels have orange peel. The majority of cars I see today are nice but over restored. BTW, I have 33 years in the Auto Body business.

1965 Fastback unrestored survivor C code 4speed A/C

1966 Convertible unrestored survivor C Code Deluxe int. A/C

1966 GT Coupe unrestored Deluxe Interior

1966 Fastback unrestored survivor K code C4 heater delete (SOLD)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
If you are over restoring your car spend many hours aligning/fitting body body panels, block sanding primer and sanding your paint finish smooth and buffing to a high luster. Early Mustangs are very easy cars to do a correct restoration on as the body panel finish and alignment was mediocre........

Have to respectfully disagree as a general comment as far as panel alignment and fit. Allot of unrestored cars after 50 years fit good today. And we've posted some examples of this in prior threads. Cars don't fall back into prefect or close to it alignment after all these years use as daily drivers.  Sure a few might have slipped through with visible issues that could be seen standing onside the car but believe this was not the general practice or something that would have been ignored by the inspectors of which there were a ton (Ford estimated 1 for every 10 workers). Inspectors carried gauges to measure the fit of panels though with experience I doubt they needed them very often

As far as over restored we can agree - unfortunately the things we see on original and unrestored cars are considered by many as flaws and not up to Pebble Beach standards  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
the trunk lid fit on many 65/66 fastbacks was less then desireable on fasstbacks. just my observation.

Offline 65,66,67UNRESTORED

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 01:03:23 AM »
I have an unrestored 65 Fastback and I'd say the fit is just "good"
1965 Fastback unrestored survivor C code 4speed A/C

1966 Convertible unrestored survivor C Code Deluxe int. A/C

1966 GT Coupe unrestored Deluxe Interior

1966 Fastback unrestored survivor K code C4 heater delete (SOLD)