Author Topic: 67 SPEC case  (Read 1780 times)

Offline preaction

67 SPEC case
« on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
Is it possible for a 67 500 to have received a 67 427 car (maybe a Comet) center section and not a SPEC case ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 SPEC case
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »
Is it possible for a 67 500 to have received a 67 427 car (maybe a Comet) center section and not a SPEC case ?
I suppose it is possible but it would be out of the ordinary and not likely. FYI the majority of GT350's did not have spec cases.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
I'm clueless  :-\ ; what is a SPEC case?  Google does me no good. :-[
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
Identification for high strength big bearing 9 inch center section . Marked SPEC in place of the date code. I have always been under the impression that SPEC=Special. FYI some center sections upon inspection are the same even though not marked SPEC. Spec case is typical on 67 427 Fairlane and 67GT500.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »

The letter SPEC is interesting since its been found on a limited number of other cast parts.  But for this discussion thought a picture would help.  Have seen a number of original 67 Shelby's that received dated cases instead of the SPEC case - not sure why. Likely some issue at the rearend plant

There are single vertical and dual vertical 9" SPEC cases out there so be careful. The double or dual vertical ribbed design has an extra horizontal rib and the dates for each are located in different locations. For this application  you want a dual horizontal ribbed case

There are also early (without the fill plug) and later (with the fill plug) versions

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
Jeff, do you mean early and late for the fill plug on  the center section or housing ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
Jeff, do you mean early and late for the fill plug on  the center section or housing ?

Yes both. They started out only on the housing then they changed the design to include them as part of the 3rd member casting. Them later dropped them from the housing design though the change to the no plug in the housing is not a real IMHO cut off since we find groupings of housings with plugs into late 67 San Jose use

Because of this some will refer to the earlier 3rd member as beign the one without the filler plug and the earlier housing to be the housing with the filler plug
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)