Author Topic: 89 5.0 vert  (Read 2231 times)

Offline 68 S Code

89 5.0 vert
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
Recently spotted an all original 89 5.0 vert with incredibly low milage. Know something about older mustangs but not much in the way of the 5.0's because in 85 I chose to get an SVO instead of a GT. The SVO is long gone but thought that this 89 might be worth buying and putting on the show circuit as original unrestored. It is a really nice example of a original, unmolested LX 5.0. Arrest me red with saddle cloth interior and tan top. What kind of competition is out there in the 5.0 classes. What classes do they have at the big national shows for a 5.0? This was an occasional driver for 10 years but has only clocked 3K in the last 10 years. The engine compartment looks untouched and the undercarriage looks like the day it rolled off the line. It looks to need an original battery, wheels and tires and maybe some paper tags on the engine. I would plan on entering it in concourse street driven if there is a class such as this for the 5 o's. Mileage is at 35K. Paint a bit faded from sun but some polish and wax should bring the luster back. Top is in great condition as well as the interior, trunk, engine compartment and aforementioned undercarriage. Looking to hear from you guys whether this one is worth persuing or stick with the older ones for shows and just drive this one.

Offline 69grandecj

Re: 89 5.0 vert
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
I would go with the unrestored class if it is truly unrestored.  If you have the original window sticker, owners manual, etc. you can get up to 10 bonus points in unrestored.  I noticed a lot of owners putting their unrestored fox bodies in the concours trailered and concours driven classes for some reason up in Washington.  I think they feel those classes are more prestigious when it is actually the unrestored class that is a little more special.  In the unrestored class you can overlook a little wear or surface rust.

If you don't want to worry about authenticity then the occassional driver class would be for you.  It still needs to be clean under the hood and the underside of the car.
MCA # 24108
MCA Gold Card Judge 3rd Generation
MCA Certified Judge 69-70
1969 Mustang Grande 428 CJ
1969 Mustang SportsRoof
1989 Mustang GT Convertible 22K miles