Author Topic: How to reduce or remove small dents on the textured interior side of doors  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Fullbasement

I've been evaluating my door shells trying to choose the best ones for my convertible project. I can rework issues on the exterior, but my best doors all seem to have one or more small dents on the inside textured side. Of course there isn't much room to work a hammer or dolly inside the door and I'm concerned that if I start trying things I might end up making the condition worse.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys have a method you've used that had good results?
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline jwc66k

It depends. Sometimes you can cover a dent with Bondo and do a "texture". Sometimes a dent puller will work on larger ones, then it's back to the Bondo thing. Or a weld on dent puller (see Bondo). A body shop has "tricks". A door is "portable". Consider that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
The paintless dent repair (PDR) people might be a alternative . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ExportMach

Ive seen dry ice used to pulled small dents on exterior panels that have been hail damaged.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline KevinK

You might look into thiis. T-hotbox PDR. Not cheap but works well.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
You might try the Eastwood PDR system of dent removal.
I'm not sure if it will stick to the grain surface.

Do note that although I've had success with the Bondo method, it requires a great deal of experimentation. It is extremely finicky about timing, latex prep and mold removal liquids to get right.
If you do not have great patience, don't even start. And you would need a spare door.

If you can actually reach behind the panel after gutting the door judicious use of a small, lightweight body hammer and dolly does work. Body hammers should be used with a light touch and many small blows to slowly work the dent out.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Fullbasement

I made some improvement using a dolly inside the door while using another "off dolly " on the outside. Using a fairly heavy dolly inside I could pop upwards just using my wrist. You can still see where the dent was, but I think if you didn't know where to look you'd probably gloss right over it. No doubt having a paintless dent remover guy work it would be the bet scenario.

My best passenger door only has one inside dent and it's where I'll have a lot of room to work it. And I think my second best door will be good enough to delegate to my coupe project. The poor coupe get's all the cast offs.
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline kb65

I had several fairly significant dents the paint less dent guy did a great job. not cheap but he came to my shop
$300 for all of the dents in both doors.

ken
ken