Author Topic: Casting dates on 289 heads  (Read 2012 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Casting dates on 289 heads
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
Jeff

I was talking to a person who's business revolves around rebuilding certain classic mustang drivetrain components and he advised that my 289 with a cast dat of 4/25 and assembly date of 4/27 was too close to my build date of 5/8/67 build date on my 1967 mustang.  Thought it would be too short of period based on ship times to the San Jose plant.

Your thoughts?
Mike

Yes that is pretty tight and would be the tightest (days between assembly of the engine and its installation in a 67 San Jose but have to report that I do have at least one other example where that spread was one more day than yours so I would think that it was possible.

In the cited examples the assembly date for that 289 was 7E26 with an real build date of 08F. Given that both of these examples were built late in the production year and during months where the weather, that might affect sipping in other months of the year, should not be a factor I think it leads credence to the possibility or facts in this matter

Was lucky enough to have an example of a car completed exactly one month later at San Jose

Would be interested in your VIN so I can add your car to the spread sheet - you can use a PM to do so if you would rather not post it
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:02:08 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cool Times

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »
Jeff

I PM'd the VIN to you.

As well, here are the images of the thermactor head casting dates:

I really appreciate everyone on this board.

Mike

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »

In the cited examples the assembly date for that 289 was 7E26 with an real build date of 08F. Given that both of these examples were built late in the production year and during months where the weather, that might affect sipping in other months of the year, should not be a factor I think it leads credence to the possibility or facts in this matter

Was lucky enough to have an example of a car completed the same day as yours - not sure how that happened    8)
Isn't the Build date of 08F be June 8, not May 8?  I don't quite understand the statement of a car completed the same day as yours....
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »
Isn't the Build date of 08F be June 8, not May 8?  I don't quite understand the statement of a car completed the same day as yours....

Sorry should have written one month apart exactly. Still the weather and time of year comments would apply

Changed my post to reflect this - thanks for the catch
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)