Author Topic: Correct PN for 68' S code air cleaner vacuum motor  (Read 1234 times)

Offline mungus

Correct PN for 68' S code air cleaner vacuum motor
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:16:49 AM »
Hoping someone can assist. 

My vacuum motor is missing, the one on the LH side of the air cleaner base that actuates the little round door.
I know they are hard to find and often unserviceable with a ruptured diaphragm etc. But at least with the correct PN I will have somewhere to start.
I know the basic PN from the 1975 Parts Book (9D612), but when I google it up pop 2 wrong parts:

The first being the big square door version from 1969: C8OZ-9D612-C

And the other being the fatter / shorter looking snorkel flap motor: C8AZ-9D612-A
 (mine doesn't seem to have this, looks like mines a thermo type): 

My usual web sources have revealed nothing. Almost all the other S code air cleaner part numbers can be found, but I can't track this one down...

So what PN is correct for this part?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:45:58 AM by mungus »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Correct PN for 68' S code air cleaner vacuum motor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
I know the basic PN from the 1975 Parts Book (9D612), but when I google it up pop 2 wrong parts:
The first being the big square door version from 1969: C8OZ-9D612-C
And the other being the fatter / shorter looking snorkel flap motor: C8AZ-9D612-A
So what PN is correct for this part?
Both, and neither. From a service standpoint, Ford supplied a usable replacement, not an original. That's the reason for your lack of a correct part number. 
The attached is from the 75 MPC.
(Avoid Google. It's not your friend.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mungus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Thanks so much Jim, I actually had guessed right and tried googling with the A suffix, but nothing came up. Not even a photo or forum thread. Given how many times I had read posts mentioning them, I thought / hoped something would appear.

I am embarrassed yet again, by my lack of familiarity with the 75' MPC. Eventually I'll figure it out. I did find the air cleaner page but not the vacuum motor one. I guess word search function in Adobe doesn't always work.

Anyway mystery solved. Now I just have to find one.
I suppose worst case scenario I could make spin up some aluminium bar stock and make a non functional replica.
Anyone care to share the dimensions?
Much appreciated if so.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:30:53 PM by mungus »
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »
+1 on the C8OZ-9D612-A

Used up into the  earlier 70's so there is a chance of finding an original used one but many are non-functional (leak)

You can have them rebuilt but you need 2 to make one so that's not a fun or cheap option.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:51:52 PM »
I am embarrassed yet again, by my lack of familiarity with the 75' MPC. Eventually I'll figure it out. I did find the air cleaner page but not the vacuum motor one. I guess word search function in Adobe doesn't always work.
You can download your own copy of the 75 MPC from here:
http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
It's 434mb, 45 files (put them into two folders). Current paper copies are in the $500-600 range.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mungus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
Thanks Jim, very kind.

I do have the 75' MPC, just that I don't yet know all the ins and outs of navigating it.

I've done quite a lot of different cars, motorbikes, tractors, farm and light machinery etc over the years, and I have to say the Ford dox are the least easy to navigate of any brand I've worked on. Particularly as the MPC covers so many variants and you only get a basic PN from the listing on the picture, then you have to know what prefix will be used which varies by model and year, and then the suffix if variants of that particular part exist. Most other vehicle parts manuals are far more model specific and its much easier to find the exact PN you need. I am getting there, improving my FoMoCo knowledge with every exercise, but I think there is a real advantage to having years of "corporate knowledge" as they say these days...

Thanks for your help thus far. Much appreciated.
If anyone has a spare vacuum motor, busted or good, I'd love to hear from you. OR at least, if I can impose on someone, some detailed dimensions, as I am pretty sure I can spin up a dummy one that looks spot on, and just leave the door open so the damn thing breathes...  ;D