Author Topic: radiator side filler panels  (Read 633 times)

Offline sflaten

radiator side filler panels
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:51:13 PM »
Working on detailing out the engine bay. I have seen a couple different configurations of the radiator installation. The radiator has a filler panel about 2" wide and 12" high. it fills radiator supports to side of radiator. Car currently has one on the passengers side. Drivers side had a gap. I have seen photos and assembly instructions that it appeared top be only one side and others on both sides. What is correct for 1969 Mach 1, 351W 4v with NO a/c?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:19:11 AM by sflaten »
Steve
1969 Mach 1, Champagne Gold
Dearborn built 3/4/69
351W 4V, PS, Power disc brakes
past ownership; 69 Mach 1(red), 79 Pace car, 69 Mach 1 (gold), 89 GT, 2011 GT500 (still own)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: radiator side filler panels
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:08:14 PM »
Thought we had covered this in the past but guess not - or at least could not find it

There is one clear example shown in the Unrestored Picture Thread section of the site. Way down at the bottom of the list  under =69 April San Jose M Code Mach I - Unrestored Picture Thread

Looking at examples form all three plants I found the same practice and orientation.

The opening and radiator are offset the gap on the drivers side is greater and in turn the designers addressed that side with the filler panel

2" wide sounds a bit narrow for the original filler panel. You might want to double check that detail
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sflaten

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 07:44:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff. with the drivers filler in place, I still had a gap at the passenger side if I remember. Likely this is not the original radiator, so wondering if it might be smaller and thus have the gap on both sides. You are right it is probably wider than 2".
Steve
Dearborn built 3/4/69
past ownership; 69 Mach 1(red), 79 Pace car, 69 Mach 1 (gold), 89 GT, 2011 GT500 (still own)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:20:07 PM »
Thanks Jeff. with the drivers filler in place, I still had a gap at the passenger side if I remember. Likely this is not the original radiator, so wondering if it might be smaller and thus have the gap on both sides. You are right it is probably wider than 2".

Apparently or just a possibility the smaller gap was not a big issue and by not making another filler panel the company save a bunch of $$$'s. This question came up a while back by one of the large parts suppliers and I remember having to do a bit of research to answer their questions
Jeff Speegle

Offline sflaten

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »
Jeff,
From what you remember are these fillers used on both sides of the radiator? My car had only one and a gap on the other side. The radiator hose lined up, and I did find a pair of the fillers and installed in the open side hoping it would aid in circulation, then wondered which was correct. I have the Osborn manuals and was going to check that out tomorrow.
Steve
Dearborn built 3/4/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
Jeff,
From what you remember are these fillers used on both sides of the radiator?

No not both sides and not from memory ;)  Have tons of pictures I use as references and for review

Sorry for not being clearer
Jeff Speegle