Author Topic: 68 lower scoop screws  (Read 2385 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 lower scoop screws
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
I judged 68 Shelby's at the KC MCA Grand National. I found some that used a phosphate finish screws to attach the lower scoop to the body and some with a SS or chrome finish screws. The 68 Shelby assembly manual calls for a S2 finish. When I got home I checked our 68 GT350 #602 and found it has the phosphate screws under the repaint. Our 68 unrestored HCS ( although a San Jose car ) has the chrome screws. Is it possible there was a running change during 68 production?

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 lower scoop screws
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
I think both finishes were used

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
Was it a early - late thing or just random?

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
I have not studied it

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »
Marty- since I'm one of the culprits that instigated your investigation I thought I better throw in a data point. There's an original owner, survivor (never been touched) GT500 KR here in Boise...May 15 build date for what it's worth...I had a look at it and the screws are definitely phosphate...it's a convertible but I wouldn't think that would make a difference in this case.

This past weekend I was talking with another 68 Shelby owner at the Intermountain Mustang Meet that was convinced the screws should be silver from his review of another survivor car but without seeing the car or knowing it's history I can't verify that it indeed has never been touched.

I'm now thinking that from a Concours point of view, even though there's pretty good evidence both kinds might have been used, the (most) correct approach is probably phosphate since it is documented that way in the Shelby assembly manual.

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
Our April 03 California Special was equipped with the bright screws.  Not a Shelby but may help with your investigation. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
+1  silver seem more common  Its not a bright chrome but more of a hard plate
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
This is not directly related to this thread, but rather a general statement on judging. Take it for what is worth, from someone that has judged for many years and currently a SAAC head judge.

This is not something I personally would focus on. I think too often we get bogged down on these type of details when larger things go unmentioned I am more often than not willing to give the owner or restorer the benefit of the doubt. Unless, they have a reoccurring issue with hardware the finish of one particular screw or bolt would never be deducted. Dont get me wrong, I want cars to be as correct as possible, but we need to focus on the big picture first.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:32 AM »
FYI there were no deductions given, I was just trying to understand the inconstancy in the use of different hardware.
You point on missing the big things is well taken but I will add the small details are the difference between a good car and a great car.
Marty

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »
All good points.

I just didnt want someone reading this to be discouraged, and leave the impression that judges are looking for nits to pick and eliminate good cars from awards.

Judging should be helpful and fair to all.

I too look for the smallest of details....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
....I too look for the smallest of details....

Believe we all do - just the way things develop over time judging. Its what you do with the details or incorrect details that makes the difference. If we don't notice and mention the owner will not have the option of improving their cars and we know that allot of people use cars that do well at shows as references for other restorations so the corret and incorrect details get copied and often repeated.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)