Author Topic: Reproduction window gaskets  (Read 927 times)

Offline jswoody

Reproduction window gaskets
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
Looking for information for the best reproduction window gaskets made?   I have read of some fit issues and would like any suggestions for best factory look and fit if possible.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Reproduction window gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
Which ones?  Windshield and rear glass repro gaskets are prone to crack in the corners and have rubber color mis-match (corner pieces are either a lighter or darker black/gray color).

Other gaskets vary in quality.  Best to be more specific.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jswoody

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
Which ones?  Windshield and rear glass repro gaskets are prone to crack in the corners and have rubber color mis-match (corner pieces are either a lighter or darker black/gray color).

Other gaskets vary in quality.  Best to be more specific.

Sorry, I am restoring a 1967 Shelby fastback and am changing all window gaskets and rubber.  Any experience is helpful.  There seem to be several  different brands however I am not sure of the quality of any of them.  In the perfect world I would replace them all with factory ford gaskets.  Thank you for your input.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:22:20 AM »
I have carpenter seals in mine. There were no issues with fitment. However, I found no manufacturer that makes the gasket like Ford did.  The corners are assembled to the strips. I do have a couple tricks I'll pass along to you if you want to go PM or call.  Let me know. I put both in my vehicle in less than an hour. I'll explain further about what to use to pull the seal in of you'd like.
                                                                     -Keith

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 01:21:37 AM »
Front windshield and rear glass, do yourself a favor and go for NOS.

The Carpenter stuff is ok, but with any repro parts, it's easy to see differences with original.  As cheap as the repro are, could always start with that and if there are issues that crop up, then decide whether or not to splurge on NOS.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:57:09 AM »
Front windshield and rear glass, do yourself a favor and go for NOS.

The Carpenter stuff is ok, but with any repro parts, it's easy to see differences with original.  As cheap as the repro are, could always start with that and if there are issues that crop up, then decide whether or not to splurge on NOS.

+1 I used a NOS seal on my last one and could not believe how much better it worked.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
I have used repop window gaskets, from various manufacturers, and I have yet to find any that are worth a damn. The worst are crap manufactured with licensing from the O.E.M.  You'd think, with today's technology, that parts could be reproduced to exacting standards. Seems that "build them cheap so the profit margin is higher" is preferred to quality.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
Even the Carpenter windshield gasket has issues.  On the inside corners, it looks like release mold plugs that stick up.  The rubber material is also a color mismatch as mentioned previously.

It's a lot of work to replace a windshield to swap out a cracked up gasket.  Expensive for those that can't do it themselves also and introduces risk of chipping paint or doing damage removing/replacing the moldings.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »
There have been discussions before with using NOS rubber gaskets that have been sitting around for years/decades. Any feedback on those concerns?? The last thing I would want is to spend premium money on NOS gaskets/rubber only to have it deteriorate/crack/leak in a year or two. 
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »
There have been discussions before with using NOS rubber gaskets that have been sitting around for years/decades. Any feedback on those concerns?? The last thing I would want is to spend premium money on NOS gaskets/rubber only to have it deteriorate/crack/leak in a year or two.

I hear that a lot, but have not run into any issues before.