Author Topic: R code 1972 Mustang  (Read 2192 times)

Offline sjrdcr

R code 1972 Mustang
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
Back in the day I owned a 1971 Boss 351 Mustang, which were only available with the 4 speed transmission. In 1972, the R code 351 engine was still being offered, the difference from the 1971 Boss being flat top pistons and open chamber heads to lower compression to 9 to 1, but still retaining a solid lifer cam. I was always under the impression that this 1972 R code version was also only available with the 4 speed. Earlier today a 1972 Mach 1 went across the block at Mecum Dallas which was claimed to be an R-code 351 with automatic trans. Ant thoughts on this? Please note that I am not referring to the Q code 351 CJ version which was also available in 1972 with both the 4 speed and the C6 automatic.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: R code 1972 Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
Kevin Marti's By The Numbers says that the 1972 R code only came with the 5 transmission (4 speed manual)---no automagics.  Only 398 of them to boot!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline sjrdcr

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
The car was lot number T140 sold on Thursday. A couple things under the hood are definitely incorrect for an R code. The intake should be aluminum, the valve covers should also be aluminum, the air cleaner is not correct, and although there is a power steering oil cooler present I don't see an engine oil cooler which should have been present since the R code cars all came with a 3.91 traction lok. A perfect example of buyer beware and to research any vehicle that you intend to buy. I suspect that this is actually a Q code car with a doctored vin # or an R code that had it's drivetrain swapped out at some point.

Offline 66kcoupe

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
I was there today to look at the car. Listed as a no sale at $14,100. It looks to have a '70 M code motor in it, all visible codes on the motor were D0OE. Originally a light pewter metallic car, couldn't find any of the 4 speed stuff left in it. Rear pumpkin tag missing. Really rusty underneath.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:04:17 PM by 66kcoupe »
1966 Mustang Hipo Coupe, in the family since new (unrestored)
1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback (daily driver)

Offline sjrdcr

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
So it did actually have an R engine code on both the dash and door tags?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
So it did actually have an R engine code on both the dash and door tags?

Unfortunately both can be faked and the dash board one goes with the forward dash pad panel. Not sure what Ford was thinking with that designed.

Bought a 71 429CJ once that someone had stolen and simply swapped the dash pad and that panel from a 351 car. Police towed it as abandoned off the streets of Oakland CA and they never realized it had been swapped or stolen.  ::)  Ended up in a salvage auction when I found it  I wonder if the sequential "hidden| numbers match the title and Marti. Well not really only if I was considering buying or looking at the car for a buyer.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66kcoupe

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
Yes it did have both dash and door tag, both showed R code and matching VIN, hidden parts of the car showed the light pewter metallic paint, I think it was real just missing all the good parts
1966 Mustang Hipo Coupe, in the family since new (unrestored)
1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback (daily driver)

Offline TUMBLEPORT SVT

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
The car was lot number T140 sold on Thursday. A couple things under the hood are definitely incorrect for an R code. The intake should be aluminum, the valve covers should also be aluminum, the air cleaner is not correct, and although there is a power steering oil cooler present I don't see an engine oil cooler which should have been present since the R code cars all came with a 3.91 traction lok. A perfect example of buyer beware and to research any vehicle that you intend to buy. I suspect that this is actually a Q code car with a doctored vin # or an R code that had it's drivetrain swapped out at some point.
     1971 Boss 351 and 1972 HO did not have a factory oil cooler .