Author Topic: 1967 San Jose underside restoration  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Rossco

1967 San Jose underside restoration
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
After 6 months of being under or at the side of my jig scrapping all the underseal off and following all the information kindly given to me I finally feel confident to show you some pictures

Big thanks to Jeff and Charles (Caspian65)

Ross
UK
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:46:12 PM by Rossco »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 San Jose underside restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
what about the dolly marks?? now's the time to do 'em.
5F09C331248

Offline Rossco

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
Errm Dolly marks? can you please describe Carlite or show in pictures

Ross

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
lots of info if you use the search feature here. also an article in the library section on recreating them.
5F09C331248

Offline Rossco

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Wow, Carlite, the library section is fantastic Understand the Dolly Marks I can replicate them

Thank you

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
glad you found it...........post more pics when you think you are done.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
Looks like you painted your rear wheel wells black. Originally the exterior paint (when the painter was applying exterior paint) passed the spray gun over the opening and painted the fender lip so allot of exterior paint was applied directly to that sound deadener that had been applied earlier. Painters didn't paint the rear wheel wells black over that areas maybe the size of your hand (low outs from the start or finish of a spray pattern) as the pinch welds were blacked out and they came to the front or rear edge of the rear wheel well

As shown in many threads the paint was over the sound deadener (no black paint) and onto the frame rails and more overspray further in towards the center of the car . Originally the sound deadener didn't extend outward to the rear fender lip at the upper surfaces

Rear floor to main floor seam was not sealed also in 67 - or any year at San Jose and most other plants. If you found this originally on your car I would really be interested in seeing pictures of it since it would be the first out of 10's of thousands of examples I've seen through the years

Guess you've seen other "restored" cars shown on the web or in a magazine and assumed they were correct. Blacked out or sound deadener last in the rear wheel wells was a standard detail maybe 15-20 years ago but we've learned allot since from original paint cars so standards and expectations have changed with the knowledge

Noticed also that you didn't do the pinch weld black out either. Going to be more of a challenge to fix these details now that you have started to install parts to the undercarriage
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:56:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rossco

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
Might the quality of the photos with my cell Jeff but I have done the pinch welds in Black with the over spray,

I can remove the sealant from the seam to the rear, Just followed the seam and sealant book( Jim Osborne) I do have some Dark Moss Green left over from the body colour so I can go back over it and over spray the rear arches

I can re do the sound deadener not to extend outwards to the fender lip just a morning work to correct

The underside color was taken from the transmission tunnel, I am really please with the match the paint mixers did, took a couple of run at it to convince myself to allow the paint to run!!

Thanks for the details Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »
Sounds great. Color does look nice.  IMHO don't use the published Assembly Manuals for a guide as they are just what Ford wanted the workers to do not what they did do.  Have unfortunately judged many cars that were done exactly like what is shown in the pictures and they never look like the real (original) cars.

Another detail is the front wheel wells. Book/manual shows that all of the surfaces were to be covered from edge to edge (also does not show the fender, splash shields and other items) with sound deadener rather than the identifiable individual spray patterns we can see in just about ever original/unrestored car we find

Doing good - just (as usual) a few adjustments ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
Nice work Rossco I like the color.

I am curious about the front leaf spring mounting bolt access in the frame it looks like the 68 style that used a rubber grommet cover. When was your car built? 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:46:53 PM »
I am also very curious when this car was built at SJ. The font leaf spring mounting and passenger side torque box are typical 1968 features. Could you please elaborate?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »
Noticed that it appears that you have a rear end housing bumper (normally installed in each rear frame rail pocket) in the snubber

For others - not sure which car he's working on. In more recent posts he's been asking about 67 390's but before that he indicated that he was building a Nov 66 A code San Jose fastback. From his posts
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:46:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rossco

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Jeff the 390 Gt is my wife's car

the  66 Nov A code is my car