1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Hood Letter 1967 + Alignment

(1/4) > >>

Ralf:
Hi,
Did some search.....but...

My 67 SJ car has the TS Hood, but no FORD letters on. May be by purpose due to repro part (do not have the holes), or simply due to visual aspects (after re-painting).

Nevertheless, found this:

"Can anyone give a definitive on 67 SJ having the FORD letters on the hood I am thinking they were installed but I am following Motor books Workshop Mustang Restoration by Tom Corcoran and Earl Davies.
It states in the exterior section that Mustang was now a strong identity with Ford and hence the letters were not used as hood trim"

My questions:
- statement above true?

If not and all 67 had FORD lettering on the hood (as this was my search result) - what would be the best option to attach:
- stick on letters? What would be the best source/supplier? Even stick on NOS (service part) available?
- pin letters with nuts (here the holes have to be drilled, eventually rust later on). Not sure if this would work out perfectly (a template would be needed, source?) What would be the best source/supplier here as well? NOS (service part) available?

Is there a measurement (photos, scetches) available, that shows up the precise FORD letter positioning (measure letter to letter, measure hood leading edge to letter). Anything available? Saw some photos with tape measuring, but not precise enough. Expl: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/28798/photo-10.html
If pins, are these the correct barrel nuts ? https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk3.asp?part=B-12924

My personal solution would be to use stick on letters (not concours, but not visible at all and "easy assembling") to avoid drilling holes and at the end of the day, pins and letters will not fit (like children draw their first letters on a piece of paper)

However, to do the work I would need a quite good measurement. Someone to support?

EDIT:

Have seen many 67 cars in the internet with and without FORD letters (rate 50:50)

Thx
Ralf

ruppstang:
IMHO the statement is wrong. Every SJ Mustang I have had and seen if original has the hood letters. They were often lost due to hood replacement. I would use the pin type and have used a original hood to make a template.
Marty

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: ruppstang on September 19, 2017, 08:47:35 AM ---IMHO the statement is wrong. Every SJ Mustang I have had and seen if original has the hood letters. They were often lost due to hood replacement. I would use the pin type and have used a original hood to make a template.
Marty

--- End quote ---
+1, I made a right side template and a left side template made out of a new sheet metal strip which I clamped, placing a straight edge of the metal section aligned to the bottom edge of the hood(s), onto the outside of a donor hood skin (an original 67 'hood skin only', not a complete hood) and then I drilled the holes though from the inside of the old skin's holes, right onto the new metal patch to make each template. I then test-fit each OE Ford letter (reproduction ones do not fit good at all), making sure the letters fit loosely in the holes as the originals do without the barrel nuts and made sure they all looked straight in the templates. Some of the holes were off ever-so slightly (though the letters did drop right in) so I egged-out the holes as needed and then I pencil-marked the side of the hole to drill into the new hood at. Next steps, I inserted an 1/8" rivet into each 1/8"hole I drilled as I went along, I did not "pop" these rivets (though I suppose you could and then drill them out), I did this so the template did not move around as a proceeded to each remaining hole. First try on the replacement hood and everything was perfect. IMHO, There is NO WAY to get a measurement 100% correctly transferred onto a replacement hood without some sort of STEEL template.

I realize you do not have a donor hood (and you are in Germany, so a bit difficult to obtain) but any other sort of alignment is sure to fail to some extent. Even using this method, a person has to be extremely careful because the pins are VERY 'unforgiving' when it comes to getting a good alignment.

Ralf:
May be there is a possibility to prepare a two piece card board/foil template (left and right side), which can be shipped overseas?
Just as an idea, not having an original hood for preparation a template here in GER.
My hood has already been painted, so I need to avoid scratches as well.

As I can read, pin letters are prefered before using stick on stuff.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: Ralf on September 19, 2017, 09:55:36 AM ---May be there is a possibility to prepare a two piece card board/foil template (left and right side), which can be shipped overseas?
Just as an idea, not having an original hood for preparation a template here in GER.
My hood has already already been painted, so I need to avoid scratches as well.

As I can read, pin letters are prefered before using stick on stuff.

--- End quote ---

In my opinion, anything less than metal template is asking for trouble. Maybe others have suggestions along what might work best given your location and "painted" situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version