1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Original two piece disc brake rotors - how do you take apart

(1/5) > >>

Morsel:
I thought I would reach out to all of you because some of you have already done this. I found the threads related to restoration on the two piece original rotors, which all makes sense, but how do you actually take them apart for the restoration process? Also, what about pressing them back together once finished?

Thanks,

Jason

CharlesTurner:
The studs are pressed through to hold the 2 pieces together.

When you take them apart, be sure to mark the orientation for balance.

Morsel:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on September 25, 2017, 10:32:52 PM ---The studs are pressed through to hold the 2 pieces together.

When you take them apart, be sure to mark the orientation for balance.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the response and good reco on taking pictures on orientation of the top plates and probably even the location of the studs, but wondering, do you just hammer the studs out, that's mainly what I was trying to figure out is how to get the studs out, and then how to get them back in when your ready to put them back together... just don't want to ruin anything while doing this.

Thanks,

Jason

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Morsel on September 25, 2017, 11:24:59 PM ---Thanks for the response and good reco on taking pictures on orientation of the top plates and probably even the location of the studs, but wondering, do you just hammer the studs out, that's mainly what I was trying to figure out is how to get the studs out, and then how to get them back in when your ready to put them back together... just don't want to ruin anything while doing this.

--- End quote ---

Use a hydraulic press to remove and replace the studs. Might consider pitting in new studs - your choice.

This does not mean that I haven't beat studs out of axles and hubs (protecting the end and threads)  and reinstalled them using a stack of nuts and washers, just offering a suggestion on how it should be done   ;)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Morsel on September 25, 2017, 11:24:59 PM ---Thanks for the response and good reco on taking pictures on orientation of the top plates and probably even the location of the studs, but wondering, do you just hammer the studs out, that's mainly what I was trying to figure out is how to get the studs out, and then how to get them back in when your ready to put them back together... just don't want to ruin anything while doing this.

Thanks,

Jason

--- End quote ---
Do not hammer out the studs .You will deform them. Use a hydraulic press as already mentioned.When you put them back together it might be a good idea to put them on a turning machine to true them up rather then find out the hard way after they are installed on the spindle and driving down the road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version