Author Topic: 67 Decor Group seat side plastic w/chrome  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 Decor Group seat side plastic w/chrome
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
Is the reproduction deluxe interior seat side panel good enough for a concours car?

https://www.mustangsplus.com/deluxe-seat-side-molding-67.html
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Decor Group seat side plastic w/chrome
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:59:12 PM »
Is the reproduction deluxe interior seat side panel good enough for a concours car?

https://www.mustangsplus.com/deluxe-seat-side-molding-67.html
Not IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:48:58 AM »
Not IMO.

+1

They are a waste of time and money in my experience. Fiberglass is too thick causing fitment issues.
Originals come in early or late meaning the later versions have center/side mounting hole that requires one more bracket on the seat frame and early type, this is not there.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Thanks for the honest opinions!

Opening some of my plastic storage boxes is a bit like Christmas and Halloween.
Pure joy at seeing some things and how nice they are -- utter horror at others.

Anyone have any luck with plastic repair on these?
I have a combination of some goobered attempts at creating a 5th hole and instead they created a 7 hole; some issues at the front holes; and a broken tab in the rear.
I think it's something I picked up along the way as both of my seats are 4 hole.
Thankfully the chrome is still in excellent nic (always wanted to use that word -- wonder how you spell it?).

I assume the passenger side is much more common as I found an excellent spare with chrome for that side. Time to hit the ads.

[on edit -- I always edit, so get used to it! Clear up one sentence to be clearer]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:57:26 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
They come up for sale pretty regularly.  There are postings on repair on CMF.  Can search later if nobody beats me to it.

Edit - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8326.msg65118#msg65118

I agree that Plastex works great
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:44:16 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
Thanks for the honest opinions!

Opening some of my plastic storage boxes is a bit like Christmas and Halloween.
Pure joy at seeing some things and how nice they are -- utter horror at others.

Anyone have any luck with plastic repair on these?
I have a combination of some goobered attempts at creating a 5th hole and instead they created a 7 hole; some issues at the front holes; and a broken tab in the rear.
I think it's something I picked up along the way as both of my seats are 4 hole.
Thankfully the chrome is still in excellent nic (always wanted to use that word -- wonder how you spell it?).

I assume the passenger side is much more common as I found an excellent spare with chrome for that side. Time to hit the ads.

[on edit -- I always edit, so get used to it! Clear up one sentence to be clearer]
Do some searching on the SAAC forum.  I remember recently different people talking about a wonder repair guy for 67 seat backs and side trim. I am getting ready to leave and don't have time to look into it myself for you but thought the lead may prove helpful.  FYI although polite the practice of explaining your edits is not necessary and not thought of as needed by the vast majority on here. I make mistakes all of the time and have to edit.  Maybe would be appropriate in a different setting and different context/information but not here. I hope you find your information .  I did a edit here and this is how it looks. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:18:36 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
I created a user account there in the first week they were up. I never really used my account as I went off and did other things.

I've tried about a half a dozen times to get my password reset, but the password reset process is broken and won't send me another notification.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
Do some searching on the SAAC forum.  I remember recently different people talking about a wonder repair guy for 67 seat backs and side trim................

Believe this is possibly one of the threads Bob was referring to

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=36092.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 03:02:46 AM »
Believe this is possibly one of the threads Bob was referring to

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=36092.0
Just got home. Thanks Jeff. That's the one I was talking about . Some others too about the same guy talking about how good the parts came out when they got back which serve as good testimonials.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
I borrowed my painter's plastic repair kit. As far as heat repair, the only thing that came close to sticking was the Polycarbonite (PC) stick. And, I wasn't that impressed with it.
For the timeline of plastics used the automotive industry in the early 60s the part is probably a PC or even a PC-ABS.

I think having someone else fix these is a great idea. My driver's side lower panel is not near as bad as I thought (although it is missing some of the rear plastic where the screws are), but some of my seat backs could use some help as well.

Another restorer in the area convinced me to spend my time on stuff I wanted to do and outsource stuff that others did better or faster. He noted that a pro at stainless refinishing could do all of my trim for a reasonable cost leaving me to do fun stuff like building engines! I try to do too much and I need to stop doing that.

Although I thought I saw this topic in another thread, what is the approximate date when Ford (or its vendor) switched to using an additional screw in the top-middle of the plastic seat back? At first I thought a PO did it. Now I think I have a spare seat back with an extra factory hole. Makes me wonder if the lower trim piece and the seat back screw hole additions happened concurrently.

I'm now on my 6th or 7th try at getting ANYONE at the saacforums to answer me when I used the "Contact us" button.
It appears no one is home, the feature is broken or they are ignoring me.
Bill

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »

Although I thought I saw this topic in another thread, what is the approximate date when Ford (or its vendor) switched to using an additional screw in the top-middle of the plastic seat back? At first I thought a PO did it. Now I think I have a spare seat back with an extra factory hole. Makes me wonder if the lower trim piece and the seat back screw hole additions happened concurrently.

Not 100% sure just yet but it seems after mid December at San Jose (plus or minus a few weeks)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
I borrowed my painter's plastic repair kit. As far as heat repair, the only thing that came close to sticking was the Polycarbonite (PC) stick. And, I wasn't that impressed with it.
For the timeline of plastics used the automotive industry in the early 60s the part is probably a PC or even a PC-ABS.

I think having someone else fix these is a great idea. My driver's side lower panel is not near as bad as I thought (although it is missing some of the rear plastic where the screws are), but some of my seat backs could use some help as well.

Another restorer in the area convinced me to spend my time on stuff I wanted to do and outsource stuff that others did better or faster. He noted that a pro at stainless refinishing could do all of my trim for a reasonable cost leaving me to do fun stuff like building engines! I try to do too much and I need to stop doing that.

I'm now on my 6th or 7th try at getting ANYONE at the saacforums to answer me when I used the "Contact us" button.
It appears no one is home, the feature is broken or they are ignoring me.
Just a suggestion but instead of trying to fix your old SAAC forum account why don't you try and establish a new one? 

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Bob,

I tried, but my email is attached to my Bossbill username and it won't let me create a new username with that same email address.
I think the 'contact us' button sends an email to an invalid email address.
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Bob,

I tried, but my email is attached to my Bossbill username and it won't let me create a new username with that same email address.
I think the 'contact us' button sends an email to an invalid email address.
PM sent

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »

Plastex works for sure, and works well.  Not trying to change your path but don’t want other readers to assume otherwise.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660