Author Topic: power top hose clips  (Read 841 times)

Offline mustang seppl

• ´66 convertible,
power top hose clips
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Hello,
I have a question about the power top hydraulic hose clips. I have removed 4 black plastic clips (pic 1-3).
In the restoration guide is another clip mention (pic 4).
Which one is the correct one.

Thx
'65 convertible ivy green
'66 convertible arcadian blue

Offline jwc66k

Re: power top hose clips
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
The single metal clip on each side is what is shown in the 64-66 body assembly manuals (the 64-65 are zinc plated, the 66 is phosphate) as in pic 4. The three pictures above show a neat installation with the plastic clips, but not per the book. I remember the tubing being loose which would be the metal clip version.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:16:02 AM »
Jim is correct.

Pic of my 64 1/2 attached as another reference (with zinc clips).
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline mustang seppl

• ´66 convertible,
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
Thanks Jim,
The third pic I got it from an article in mustang 360°. It was mention that the car is a 66 from California like my car. Also the clips is fitting the time. The same are for the taillight harness under the quarter window.
Was this change from metal retainer to plastic clip a dealer option or something like that?
Thx
'65 convertible ivy green
'66 convertible arcadian blue

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:32:23 PM »
I always thought from what I've seen on original cars that the Metal clips were a '64 1/2-'65 factory thing and the Plastic ones were a '66 factory thing...  It definately was NOT a "Dealer Thing" all by itself... The Plastic clips were definitely on Assembly line Production '66 Convertibles.

It would be nice if both styles were reproed.....but I guess no one has gotten around to either of them yet...

I would not mind having a new plastic set for my '66... If someone knows where to get the correct Plastic clips, Please let me know..with stock# if they are currently available...

Also,

"The single metal clip on each side is what is shown in the 64-66 body assembly manuals." "the 66 is phosphate) as in pic 4"...

As our famous Mr. Speegle would remind you, The Original Factory Assembly Manuals are just a guide..especially as to what was originally intended to be on the cars.  There are many, upon many things in the Factory Assembly manuals that NEVER actually made it into production...or that reflected "Actual Production" - What was ACTUALLY installed on the car on the actual Assembly line at the time of production.  :)

Also, I don't ever remember seeing anything but the Plastic clips installed on '66 Convertibles...but there are always early changeover exceptions..

It would be great to hear from some '66 Convertible owners as to what they have.... I'm betting Plastic Clips....!  ...but then good old Sand Jose Plant usually throws in the monkeywrench..

Thanks,

Tony K.  :o)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:46:24 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
I always thought from what I've seen on original cars that the Metal clips were a '64 1/2-'65 factory thing and the Plastic ones were a '66 factory thing...  It definately was NOT a "Dealer Thing" all by itself... The Plastic clips were definitely on Assembly line Production '66 Convertibles.

It would be nice if both styles were reproed.....but I guess no one has gotten around to either of them yet...

I would not mind having a new plastic set for my '66... If someone knows where to get the correct Plastic clips, Please let me know..with stock# if they are currently available...

Also,

"The single metal clip on each side is what is shown in the 64-66 body assembly manuals." "the 66 is phosphate) as in pic 4"...

As our famous Mr. Speegle would remind you, The Original Factory Assembly Manuals are just a guide..especially as to what was originally intended to be on the cars.  There are many, upon many things in the Factory Assembly manuals that NEVER actually made it into production...or that reflected "Actual Production" - What was ACTUALLY installed on the car on the actual Assembly line at the time or production.  :)

Also, I don't ever remember seeing anything but the Plastic clips installed on '66 Convertibles...but there are always early changeover exceptions..

It would be great to hear from some '66 Convertible owners as to what they have.... I'm betting Plastic Clips....!  ...but then good old Sand Jose Plant usually throws in the monkeywrench..

Thanks,

Tony K.  :o)

Recently, I found a bunch of the plastic clips ("P"-shaped) at a salvage yard scrounging trip, they look just like what the O.P. showed in the first post. I can measure them if there is any interest. I removed them from a 66 T-bird, mostly underhood, rear of RF tire, around the suspension of that T-Bird.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »

I'll take 5 of the small plastic clips please... :o)

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001