Author Topic: 4300 carb repair?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Murf

4300 carb repair?
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »
Need advice on repair of Autolite 4300 carb. .  Has anyone had a succesful repair done on one of these carbs, and if so, by whom.  Pony Carbs are somewhat expensive - any other company offer a quality rebuild on this particular carb.  The unit that is eating me alive is a C8ZF - D, 68 302 automatic.  Eratic idle, flat spot off idle when driving with a very easy pressure on the accelerator, and on occasion hard start when hot.  Sometimes it works well, other occasions it exhibits crazy behavior.  Idle mixture screws need to be out about 3 or 4 turns to get acceptable idle.  Help!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline teamlo

Re: 4300 carb repair?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »
I am having a (somewhat) similar problem, though not as pronounced.  As a matter of fact, my cousin and his friend got mine working pretty darn well with just a simple rebuild.  I have been toying with the idea of using Pony Carbs, but if I do it won't be until the spring when I am ready to bolt the carb on.  If you believe their website (as well as all the Service Bulletins from back in the day), the 4300 had multiple issues, though probably mostly due to the way Ford had it calibrated and tuned for emissions.  I am eager to keep mine since I am looking for a stock, factory appearance.  If I can get it working nice (and keep it that way), I will stay with it.

Terry

Offline Murf

Re: 4300 carb repair?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »
Finally fixed the problem!  Started changing items related to the fuel level since it seemed that all of the problems were connected with an inconsistent level of fuel in the bowl.  Changed the main needle and seat, next the aux. needle and seat, then the float itself, than the float pin and nothing seemed to change.  The main body to top gasket became torn due to removing it too many times, so replaced it with a used gasket, the one that was on the carb for the last umpteen years, and the whole mess straightened up and all was well.  The new gasket, furnished with the kit, was just a little tiny bit too wide and the inner center of the float wold catch on the gasket - sometimes!  Just about drove me nuts, as you can imagine.  The fix was an accident, but fixed none the less.  Learn from my mistake, and never take for granted that a new part will be what is needed to fix something!  Sometimes that old used part in the trash can will save us.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior