Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

Cobra Jet Detailing Guide

(1/4) > >>

Anghelrestorations:
I put together a new guide on how to detail a typical Cobra Jet engine especially with the 50th anniversary happening this year of the official release.  This is an update of information plus adding some more new information we have not had.  The goal here was to review some of the most common items and not go into the internals of the motor.

Welcome to comments, questions or suggestions here. 

Its a long article so give it a minute to load on your screen.

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/cobrajet_engine_detail_v1.3.pdf

IMG_5996 Fixed-002 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

JohnRB:
Perfect.

A few comments.

In topic #2 : Its missing a J in Cobra Jet.

Under topic # 5. Just a question regarding exhaust manifolds. Did early 70 exhaust manifolds have provision for the choke stove? If not, are they different than 69?

Topic #18. Are distributor brackets the same all years/California emission?

Marcus. You realy have to write a book!

Thanks for what you do and share with us.

John in Norway

Coralsnake:
The original “C8” motor mount insulators I have seen have a red ID stripe. I’m not sure how long they continued use of them......

1968 Shelbys have a few other variants as well.

Thanks for sharing this information

Bob Gaines:
Great in depth article . The best yet IMO.  I saw a typo in #8 Engine tag was commonly placed under "coil bracket " bolt . You had dist hold down. #14 FYI the silver color on the valve cover gasket was a sealer . #32 the more common trademark on the bell shaped sender for 69 was FOMOCO in block letters in the rectangle. The Ford script version was less common IMO. 

Mike_B_SVT:
I posted this over on the CJ forum, but thought I should include it here as well...

Awesome document, Marcus and Bob!

Noted a few typos, missing(?) info, and possibly some corrections to be made?  Not criticizing, just trying to help - and gain a better understanding of these details.

Pg 6, #18 - "Distributor bracket" - I believe this should be Ignition Coil Bracket.

Pg 7, #21 - the picture on the right shows a D0ZF-AB carb, but the text beneath the picture describes the 1968 carb in the other pic.  I think the '68 carb image may also have lost some of its text.

Pg 8, #22 - I have my original D0 motor mounts, if you want any pics.

Pg 8, #23 - no mention of the different versions of CJ oil pan (C8 and C9) and how they can be identified externally by the baffle spot welds?  Also no mention of the windage tray and its variations?

Pg 9, #27 - Alternator fan blade change dates don't appear to match between the text on the images and in the description text.

Pg 10, #30 - wasn't there also a 1970 spacer version that had 4 holes, instead of the double "kidney bean" shapes?

Pg 11, #34c - Aren't BOTH brackets in the picture used for the alternator?  The smog pump adjusting bracket is not pictured, but it is mentioned in the text.
Pg 11, #34e - text seems confusing to me... "...except those with AC that had an additional bracket as shown here above."  I get the gist of the washer spacer, but what is this additional bracket that's mentioned?

Pg 13, #38 - this describes the 1969 starter cable mounting.  Do you plan to add the 1970 starter cable mounting info?

That's as far as I've gotten ~ time for bed.  Can't wait to finish reading the rest of it though!  Wow!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version