Author Topic: Is this radiator correct for my NJ 1966 K-code?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline evantugby

Is this radiator correct for my NJ 1966 K-code?
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:41:52 PM »
Gents,
When I bought my kar it came with a DEP C4ZE 8005 radiator with G1 5HB stamp that was in the trunk of the kar. 

Question 1:  Would this have been original to my kar considering the date stamp and where the stamp is located? 

Question 2:  Does anyone in the nation offer services to restore these radiators?

My kar's info
Metuchen built
Oct/Nov 1965 scheduled build date

Evan

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:34:42 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Is this radiator correct for my 1966 K-code?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:00:08 AM »
It's a correct Dearborn/Metuchen radiator for a 4sp.  Date is a bit off, but I would think it's close enough.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
It's a correct Dearborn/Metuchen radiator for a 4sp.  Date is a bit off, but I would think it's close enough.

Thanks Caspian,

I think I would like to restore it and put it back in my engine bay.  I have quote requests into three radiator restoration shops in the U.S.A. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:12:38 PM by evantugby »

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »
I have tanks and straps for a DEP 4 speed radiator that needs to be re-cored and have been to this place with them https://www.gtradiators.com/

They quoted me about $500. They do a lot of classic radiator restorations. When I was there last year they had a backlog of old Bugatti radiators they were working on. Whatever you do, make sure they put in the same # fins per inch which for the G1 should be 15
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
Looking at your radiator if it were me I would remove the straps with a blow torch, strip the paint on them, lightly wet sand under running water in the rusted areas (600 grit?), rinse throughly, then fully submerge them both in Evaporust for 24 hours or more to really clean them up. I do not see radiator shops wanting to put that kind of effort and time into getting the rails right (takes me hours), instead most shops will likely take a short cut with a media blaster.

Is there a concern with a radiator restoration shop using a media blaster on the radiator?

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
I plan to have Glen-Ray Radiators in Wausau, WI restore my radiator.  Quoted me at $500-$600. 

Their motto:  The bitterness of poor workmanship remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten...quality is our hallmark.

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

I suppose all you concours guys have original radiators as well. ;)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:15:35 PM by evantugby »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 11:40:12 AM »
It depends on the type of glass bead used.  The brass parts can be hit with a scotchbrite pad to smooth the surface back out before paint.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
Not surprised to see on their site:
"In rebuilding, ... Glass beading of all parts comes next" (http://www.restorationradiators.com/radiatorresto.htm)

Once blasted the finish is never the same, which is why I do my own prep for quality  ;)

I'm not trying to win any awards.  I just want a kar that feels nearly new again and will be a driver.  But I'll tell ya, this site and it's users have motivated me to do far more concours restoration than I intended.  :)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:28:16 AM »
Seeing your building a concours 66 GT 350 clone wouldn't this be the correct time to locate a correct San Jose radiator instead of using a NJ/Dearborn example???

just my 2 cents

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:32:23 AM by outlawincorporated »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Is this radiator correct for my NJ 1966 K-code?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
Seeing your building a concours 66 GT 350 clone wouldn't this be the correct time to locate a correct San Jose radiator instead of using a NJ/Dearborn example???

Think his aim is a factory like NJ K code with some Shelby features.   ::)  Just an example of how these things can get confusing IMHO

Changed the title a little so that it can be left in the none Lobby area. ;) If we mix details from one plant to anther too much in a thread it will not benefit other members and viewers - and we'll be tempted to move them since their will then relate to subjects not in tune with the goals and focus here
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:37:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »

just my 2 cents

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Jeff is right.  In terms of concours correct detail I am more interested in restoring the kar back to factory specifications the way it would have rolled off the assembly line.  Of course I do want to have a very close-looking GT-350 which is why I have several nice Shelby touches; paint job, holley carb, fiber glass hood and hood pins, intake manifold, dash mounted tachometer, 10-spoke wheels, side vents, badging, Koni Shocks, monte carlo bar and Shelby export brace and turn down exhaust.  I think everything else will be consistent with the kar's original DNA.  I could have changed out several other key components like Shelby did but I choose to carry the original toploader, original oil pan, original 13/16" sway bar, exhaust manifolds. 

I know this may be confusing for some but to be honest I have no plans to show this kar.  I am simply building this kar to my own standards and focusing on specific concours detail so in the end I will have a very nice looking restoration that will look like a GT-350 to most people but certainly guys like yourselves will know its not a true GT-350.  You guys are to smart for that.  Most of the public isn't however.  ;)   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 02:33:03 AM »
Think we've gotten off the OP's question concerning the specific radiator and its suitability for a 66 NJ car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »
Gents,
Wanted to provide a follow-up.  I went with Glen-Ray Radiators out of Wausau, Wisconsin.  They restored my radiator and it looks 95% brand new.  Only a very small amount of minor discrepancies but overall I am pleased.  They even send it back to you prior to making payment to make sure you are happy.

Couple pictures.   

Offline rodster

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »

Gents,
Wanted to provide a follow-up.  I went with Glen-Ray Radiators out of Wausau, Wisconsin.  They restored my radiator and it looks 95% brand new.  Only a very small amount of minor discrepancies but overall I am pleased.  They even send it back to you prior to making payment to make sure you are happy.

Couple pictures.   

Looks great!  What is the 5% not brand new?

Seems they are really interested in satisfied customers if they send it back without requiring payment first.  wow
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline evantugby

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:15 AM »

Looks great!  What is the 5% not brand new?

Seems they are really interested in satisfied customers if they send it back without requiring payment first.  wow

The lower brackets under the radiator are still rough and some very small bubbling in the paint in a small area.