Author Topic: AMK?? Repro voltage regulator??  (Read 7680 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
AMK?? Repro voltage regulator??
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:44:52 AM »
Just curious as to if anyone else has experianced problems with the current reproduction voltage regulator from AMK?
My newly restored '65 GT has had this problem right out of the box in that the lights pulse rapidly telling me there was something wrong, I first checked all my grounds and then replaced the AMK unit with an electronic version from my local parts store, and that fixed the problem.
I am now in the process of swapping the cover from the AMK unit to the new electronic one.......

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: AMK?? Repro voltage regulator??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
It seems to be a common problem, but bad grounds can contribute to the problem.

Just swapping the cover to an electronic version won't make the regular concours correct.  The base of the electronic is usually plated the wrong color and there is no metal strip under where the plug connects on the base.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »
Charles, I am holding the AMK unit in my hand and cannot see any metal strip under where the plug would go-may be I don't in fact have an AMK part??
I weas advised that I do though.....I think for me I'll just install the cover onto the electronic unit and be happy that my charging system works properly understanding that it won't be concours correct.

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »
Just to clarify what you should be looking for in reference to a "bar" , here's a photo from the AMK webpage:

If you look closely you'll see the area below the plug is enclosed (the bar), as opposed to an open area. If yours is open, you don't have an AMK unit.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
Guys, My Bad!!  Thanks for the pics JK! It turns out that I DO NOT have an AMK regulator!! just as I suspected I have a cheap japaneese reproduction that was sold to my restorer by the large wholesaler in NC.........
(I would have gladly paid the difference between the jap unit and the AMK unit if I had been asked!)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »
You may still end up having an issue with pulsing lights after installing an AMK regulator.  They use breaker points for control, just as the OEM regulators did.  Make sure the unit is grounded well and be sure to check charging voltage when finished.  I recently replaced a two-year-old AMK regulator with an electronic regulator after I found that the charging voltage was too high.  These mechanical regulators can be adjusted by tweaking the point gap, but the adjustment procedures are temperature-dependent and a little tricky.  More info here:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=11197.0
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
The Regulator is a Ford Licensed Piece and Max and are Marti is the only supplier of them. 

Picture of Marti Autoworks Regulator

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:57:19 AM by buckeyeresto »

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
My regulator's stamping doesn't look like the Marti one in the picture-has the same words and numbers but is clearly from a different manufacturer.
Who is Max? is he the AMK guy? and why doesn't the mine have the solid bar across under where the plug goes like is shown in the other picture of the AMK units that JK provided?
Also: The Marti piece in the picture shows screws holding the cover on and mine has a type of pin....

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
AMK= andrer max kotlowski (sp?). i have seen early regulators with those type of screws. yours does not have the bar because it is not 100% correct.
5F09C331248

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »
Thanks for clairifying this carlite65, If then the Marti ones AND the AMK (Max) ones indeed have the bar under where the plug goes I still have to wonder where the one I have came from that doesn't.
I know that buckeyeresto deals with the early cars so thats probably why he is showing a picture of a unit with the screws.....
I am going to try and figure out how to post a picture so I can show you all the one I have.....

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
repo is repo it is what it is and 9.9% out of 10  judges will never look for that bar just for the cover. Pick your choice, max or keven, or even maybe daniel "Carpenter" for those that don't know.  made them for a while but they are and were all  ford licensed.  Does anyone know if max still makes electronics, last I talked to lisa (max's wife) a few months ago they were getting out of the electronic business and just concentrate on fastners. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »
repo is repo it is what it is and 9.9% out of 10  judges will never look for that bar just for the cover. Pick your choice, max or keven, or even maybe daniel "Carpenter" for those that don't know.  made them for a while but they are and were all  ford licensed.  Does anyone know if max still makes electronics, last I talked to lisa (max's wife) a few months ago they were getting out of the electronic business and just concentrate on fastners.
It would be best to try and get the regulator with the lower bar. If I was judging and saw that it didn't have it and knowing that the better repro is available there would be points deducted even in trailered concours. You are challenged and obligated to have the best reproduction available. If there was a multitude of other sins I could see something like this getting easily overlooked. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline round2k

pulsing lights
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
The pulsing of the lights is typical of the mechanical regulators. There is a "high" and a "low" setting within the regulator that adjusts the amount of current going to the battery, depending on the battery's state of charge.  When the battery has been discharged the regulator will cycle between the two settings to deliver a higher level of current resulting in the puslation. As the battery reaches a state of full charge the regulator stays on the point set that results in the lower current.  It is possible to open up the cover on the early covers and adjust the spring tension that controls the points to lessen the pulsation, but it will never go away completely.  That pulsation is the sign of a true early regulator. I belive there is even a reference to adjusting the regulator contacts in the service manuals thought I don't have ready access to mine at the moment.
Dave Wallace

Offline Redline

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »
For the best of both use an electronic regulator with correct cover, for concours shows swap to an original regulator. Do the same with the battery modern battery with Autolite cover, dead original Autolite battery for concours. Both swaps are easy & fast on the show field.
MCA# 52738
Certified National Judge 1964 1/2-1966 Mustang

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
For the best of both use an electronic regulator with correct cover, for concours shows swap to an original regulator. Do the same with the battery modern battery with Autolite cover, dead original Autolite battery for concours. Both swaps are easy & fast on the show field.

Are you suggesting to swap out both the battery and voltage regulator at the show. Plenty of people swap out batteries - not many the regulator.

Both, the electronic base and the battery cover, will cost the owner points on the Concours show field at MCA, SAAC and TS
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)