Author Topic: Vent Window Disassembly  (Read 2132 times)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Vent Window Disassembly
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
Got the rear quarter windows re-chromed and re-installed now its time to move to the front vent windows. Can anyone give me any tips on just what gets removed and how, and what to be careful of before I just start attacking this thing. I'll be sending these out to Qual Krom when they're ready.
Thanks to all,

Greg

64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Vent Window Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »
Start by pulling off the long slide, just grab it near the base of the vent window and pull outwards.  Then remove the wing window assembly by removing the 2 machine screws and the adjustment nut.  When the fasteners are removed, just push down on the wing window frame to release it from the pivot, then pull the threaded end out of the vent assy.  Next, drill out the 2 rivets for the vertical stainless section and remove the screw up top.  Drill out the rivet for the top corner seal and then all that is left is the weather strip.  You may need a long flat tip screwdriver to get the clips out. 

Qual-krom can also buff the stainless sections if you like.  Bob can put the machine buff marks back in if you ask him.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Charles-
    Thanks so much for the blow-by-blow instructions. They came apart like clockwork. This is the first time I've undertaken a project of this magnitude and I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten this far without people like you, Jeff and members of this forum. Thanks again to all.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
Charles-
    Thanks so much for the blow-by-blow instructions. They came apart like clockwork. This is the first time I've undertaken a project of this magnitude and I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten this far without people like you, Jeff and members of this forum. Thanks again to all.

Greg

No problem, glad to help.  I have the proper tubular rivets to re-attach the vertical stainless strip once you get the vent frame re-chromed.  Send me a PM or e-mail when you get them back and I can drop some of the rivets in the mail.  I have a rivet squeezer tool to install them, but you could probably do it with some hand punches.  Some folks just use pop-rivets also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin