Author Topic: General Shock Paint Daube question  (Read 4989 times)

Offline 68 S Code

General Shock Paint Daube question
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Jeff had mentioned that he had some build sheets for low to no option 289 cars and they show shocks front and rear as red. So in your opinion where the shocks typically marked in sets at all four corners the same? Meaning if rear shocks are say white than fronts would also be white. Red with red and brown with brown. It would seems to make sense since it would be easier to do on the line. I know in 70 it was not dome that way because i have a build sheet which shows orange front and I believe white on the rear (not actual because i don't have the sheet in front of me). But different none the less. I see that by 70 the build sheets were much more color coded than previous ones which were more part number oriented.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:03:22 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: General Shock Paitn Daube question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
Jeff had mentioned that he had some build sheets for low to no option 289 cars and they show shocks front and rear as red. So in your opinion where the shocks typically marked in sets at all four corners the same? Meaning if rear shocks are say white than fronts would also be white. Red with red and brown with brown. It would seems to make sense since it would be easier to do on the line.

Is not about ease since the printer does not care if it prints the two sets of boxes with the same or completely different set of letters. As far as installing the guy that did the front shocks was a different person than did the rears from my understanding

As far as "typically" I would say that the majority of all cars all years (for the years were discussing making the Mustang) they were both the same - front and back

I know in 70 it was not dome that way because i have a build sheet which shows orange front and I believe white on the rear (not actual because i don't have the sheet in front of me). But different none the less. I see that by 70 the build sheets were much more color coded than previous ones which were more part number oriented.

Have to disagree - by 70 its just as typical to find the majority of the shock color codes to match front and back. Your likely looking at a CJ 4 speed or a Boss car - not really the typical of the majority in 70 Mustangs ;)

Early there are basically codes, then they started to use engineering numbers and colors, then more color codes, then (by 71-73) back to single digit codes for more of the information. So like everything - its just change, change, change

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: General Shock Paitn Daube question
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
The 70 example I was referring to was a boss 2. You're good.

Offline 68 S Code

Re: General Shock Paint Daube question
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
Jeff, It seems to me that the method used to put marks on the shocks differ between front and rears. The rears look to have been done with a brush while fronts seem to have been sprayed? Is that correct? I've now seen a few photos of front shocks and one which was a low milage original un-restored 68 had  red marks which looked sprayed because of how light the edges were.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
My experience for 67s & 68s is that both front and rear shock paint marks were brushed.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
My experience for 67s & 68s is that both front and rear shock paint marks were brushed.

All vintage Mustang original shocks (and service replacements) I've found have been brushed (identification marks) also
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »
Source: 69 Build sheet decoder,
  Front
C9ZF-18045-A   Red
C9ZF-18045-C   White
C9ZF-18045-B   Gray
KKX-2428 34     Red,Orange

Rear
C9ZF-18080-A   Red
C9ZF-18080-C   White
C9ZF-18080-G   Brown
C9ZF-18080-F   Gray
KKX-2429 34     Red,Orange

My favorite shock picture: original rear shock from KK 1215! The 1969 KKX Boss 429 shocks had the paint ID spayed front and rear. Most but not all others for 69/70 were a daub with the exception of the Gray & Red standard duty shocks that were sprayed or paint daub.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 01:27:58 AM »
Yes Bob the guy with the spray can got carried away with that one
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:30 AM »
Just curious whether there is a publication called "69 Build Sheet Decoder" or was that just how Bob P titled the list? If there is such a publication is it available for other years as well?

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
The build sheet decoder is a Ford internal file with all the build sheet codes. I only have 1969 & 1970.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Bob. I have an off topic question about a 68 GT grill two tone paint color which I was hoping you could answer. Please look for it in 67-68 area. You  briefly touched upon it in a MM article a while back.