Author Topic: "Paint ok" stamp on 1966 SJ coupe  (Read 1998 times)

Offline sally_66

"Paint ok" stamp on 1966 SJ coupe
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Hello, paint job is done and so it´s time to think about this little item: "paint ok"

A few questions:

- Is the place at the cowl vent/inside underhood also right for San Jose 1966 ? - saw in Collector´s Originality Guide on Page 21
- What´s the right color for the stamp by M-Code (wimbledon white) - black ?

Something amazing I found on a Mustang 1965 in poppy red that is stored in my garage:
The stamp does not show "Paint OK" it shows "Paint S" and is turned about 180 angular degree ??? ---- (what´s that ???, paint not ok ;)

Looking forward your answers

Matthias
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:23:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Mustang 1966 Notchback . C-Code . San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Paint ok" stamp on 1966 coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
Hello, paint job is done and so it´s time to think about this little item: "paint ok"

Ok let's start at the basics. This is a San Jose only thing until sometime in 67 (other styles and methods were used at other plants and later at San Jose). It was RARE that a car got stamped with PAINT OK. Instead the paint inspectors were assigned a number (so the bosses could track who was doing what and who to call if they found a car with paint problems that got past an inspector) and each was assigned a stamp with that corresponding number - ex PAINT 5

A few questions:

- Is the place at the cowl vent/inside underhood also right for San Jose 1966 ? - saw in Collector´s Originality Guide on Page 21

Never heard of the book but it is typical to find that the person inspecting the uni-body of the car placed their stamp on the passenger side of the cowl - below the hood weatherstripping and above the pinchweld, outboard of the windshield washer hole. There were a couple of other variations but this is the most widely seen type found on approx 95% of the ones we see.  By 66 the font size was more uniform (two different sizes were applied in 64-65 production( and if your thinking of making your own stamp be aware that the font style is an old one and currently (to my knowledge)  is not available through type setters or places that make rubber stamps. 

A different stamp (different inspector  - different location at the plant) was used by another inspector looking over the parts that were painted individually.  These parts (headlight buckets, fenders and hood) typically were stamped by that person

- What´s the right color for the stamp by M-Code (wimbledon white) - black ?

Have never seen black used on a 64-66 San Jose car. Instead they used one of three colors the most common was a yellow.

As part of helping out I often carry one of my stamp boxes to the national shows (MCA, SAAC and Team Shelby - plus some local ones) and often stamp cars on site with the owners permission, of course.

Of course allot of people see pictures of these details in a book, magazine or at a show and they rush out to get one for there car. We see so many try and get it right or just guess :( but fall short (not unusual to find inspection marks from one plant or year getting applied to a completely different car)  that I started just bringing my stamps along to help owners get it right.

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Jerry

Re: "Paint ok" stamp on 1966 SJ coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
Hi Jeff

I must disagree on one point. I had a early 66 Notchback Metuchen built
and it was bronze metallic and on the driver side above the firewall it was
stamped in yellow PAINT OK and below ADAMS

Bye Jerry

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Paint ok" stamp on 1966 SJ coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi Jeff
I must disagree on one point. I had a early 66 Notchback Metuchen built
and it was bronze metallic and on the driver side above the firewall it was
stamped in yellow PAINT OK and below ADAMS
Bye Jerry

Thanks and yes NJ cars were done in the fashion you mentioned (and later included a top line  "BODY  PAINT") The stamp placment that your referring to can be found many places on the 65-66 NJ firewall above the pinch weld (have examples on the drivers side, passenger side and almost centered - must have been a taller inspector ;)

Not sure what point (in my post) that you disagreed with.  ???
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)