Author Topic: Anyone Have Sound Deadener Pix 65 San Jose Mustang?  (Read 15803 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Anyone Have Sound Deadener Pix 65 Mustang?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:38 PM »
A couple of examples of 65 SJ trunk sound deadener application

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
Fairly typical examples of rear wheel well sound deadener application for 65-66 San Jose. This was applied before the primer - directly to the bare metal

Thick and heavy in many areas

Jeff Speegle

Offline GlennG

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
Great rear wheel well photos.  I am adding a cowl sealer photo.  Jeff, could you see if you have any front wheel well photos of sound deadener to fill out the mix here?  Thanks again for all the input. ;D  Glenn
'65 Mustang Coupe - Restoration after I get Hertz running
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod

Offline GlennG

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
I am looking for FRONT wheel well pictures that Jeff or Charles (or other folks?) can supply. What would be your suggestions of steps for the application of primer, sealer, and sound deadener? Any photos that show this area around the front wheel wells would be much appreciated as I am wanting to complete my engine compartment and wheel wells.   Here is my data plate info: 65A M 26 22A 74 6 5.

Thanks for your help!  Glenn
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
I am looking for FRONT wheel well pictures that Jeff or Charles (or other folks?) can supply. What would be your suggestions of steps for the application of primer, sealer, and sound deadener? Any photos that show this area around the front wheel wells would be much appreciated as I am wanting to complete my engine compartment and wheel wells.   Here is my data plate info:5R07C177968  65A M 26 22A 74 6 5.

1- From what I've seen all surfaces would have received a nice coat of red oxide colored epoxy primer/sealer in the front wheel well when they were shooting the bottom of the front frame rail

2- During this period at San Jose then they would have typically applied seam sealer (from a chalking gun sort of applicator and then the material was spread with a rag dipped in thinner or kerosene or a brush of some form to the firewall to inner fender panel and front frame rail seam.  During this period we often find that workers working at that time sealed the rear frame rail to inner fender panel seam for some reason in the same manner. Seams are highlighted in the picture below. NOTE to others viewing the thread - these details differ from other periods of the year

3- Area from where the rear splash shield forward  (including the inside of the shock tower) would have received a nice coat of engine compartment black at the same station the engine compartment was painted black. Because of angle and coverage over spray from this operation was allowed to coat brackets that hung down from the front frame rails.

4- After the car was assembled (suspension, front sheet metal, front splash shields....- except front wheel and tire) a worker would apply sound deadener to the front wheel well.  The purpose was to seal the water from entering the passenger compartment, deadener road and rain sounds and in some cases protect surfaces from gravel damage in those events.  The typical application can best be described as a little or allot.  At a minimum the firewall section of the front wheel well received a nice heavy coating of sound deadener.  This normally included the rear splash shield surface exposed there also. It should be noted that the deadener was shot from the outside of the car with an somewhat upward angle. So consider this when producing overspray.

A single pass of the application wand from approx the lower rear frame and inner fender junction upward and forward towards the top rear point of the spring/shock cover, where it stops.

Another pass diagonal   from the top front point of the shock/spring cover to the lower front edge of the inner fender panel

And another short pass over the front splash shield.

On about approx every 5th - 10th car the worker would make an additional pass of the applicator wand along the length of the bottom of the fender. In most cases the wand pass was wide enough to apply material across the width of the bottom surface of the fender and the bottom of all the mounting bolts at the inner fender.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:04:25 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline GlennG

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
  ;D Wow, great sugggestions!  Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all the details!  Glenn

Offline GlennG

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
Hi Jeff, I can't tell from the photos.  In the front wheel wells, was the seam sealer applied going forward from the shock tower along the front frame rail seams? Also, do you have pictures(maybe the same ones?) without the reddish color that will help me envision how the sealer looked underneath the sound deadener? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:53 PM »
Hi Jeff, I can't tell from the photos.  In the front wheel wells, was the seam sealer applied going forward from the shock tower along the front frame rail seams?

I don't see that on cars I have pictures of, from that period of time at San Jose. There are other periods where we  find it there also while there are other periods where neither (front or rear of shock tower) are done

Also, do you have pictures(maybe the same ones?) without the reddish color that will help me envision how the sealer looked underneath the sound deadener?

Here you go.

Jeff Speegle

Offline GlennG

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
I would also be very grateful to see close-up and other pictures of the seam sealer that Ford used in the area of the pinch weld to floor seam (that runs from wheel well to wheel well) along the length of the car.  What brand of seam sealer, (and method of application) would you use to recreate what was used in this area? :-\

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
I would also be very grateful to see close-up and other pictures of the seam sealer that Ford used in the area of the pinch weld to floor seam (that runs from wheel well to wheel well) along the length of the car.

Here you go

What brand of seam sealer, (and method of application) would you use to recreate what was used in this area? :-\

DAP ALEX PLUS is what I used last week. Pretty happy with the way it went on  nicely. Applied it with a chalking gun then laid down/spread with a cheap 1/2" brush with 80% of the length of the bristles cut off.
Jeff Speegle

Offline GlennG

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »
 8) Thanks for the quick reply and great pictures, Jeff!!!  By the way, I am working on "resurrecting" my '66 dirt bag Hertz...it has been non-running for over 20 years and the body, etc. needs a lot of TLC but I am hoping to get it at least safe to drive to SAAC 38 in Sonoma.  I think it will be a great conversation piece....maybe I'll see you there? Glenn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »
8) Thanks for the quick reply and great pictures, Jeff!!!  By the way, I am working on "resurrecting" my '66 dirt bag Hertz...it has been non-running for over 20 years and the body, etc. needs a lot of TLC but I am hoping to get it at least safe to drive to SAAC 38 in Sonoma.  I think it will be a great conversation piece....maybe I'll see you there? Glenn

Will look for it  ;)  Know there should be 3-4 unrestored other 65-6's there or more - if everyone makes it.
There are still a ton of unrestored Shelby's in garages and such around the state. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline oldheap

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
Jeff, you previously said the following regarding rear trunk sealers: "Trunk - Before (sealer and sound deadener) exterior color applied. Sound deadener shot onto panels. Tail light panel and those surfaces were either sprayed, applied out a chaulking gun or a combination of both depending on when the car was build."

I own a late San Jose car, Shelby GT350, 6S098. Although I would like to keep the entire Ford VIN to myself(and Howard!), it is 239xxx. Should I caulk, or should I spray.

And, BTW, I sure would like a few more clues about how much brown,black, and clear to add to my DP74 IYHO.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
I own a late San Jose car, Shelby GT350, 6S098. Although I would like to keep the entire Ford VIN to myself(and Howard!), it is 239xxx. Should I caulk, or should I spray.

First - welcome to the site

No worry about the VIN - since we don't have any idea of when any of these cars were specifically built more numbers would not help. Likely could figure out most of the last three anyway ;)

Here is a couple of shots of a 65 San Jose of about that same period to help (much better than just words) Locks to be a loose chalk job with some brush spreading along the bottom base of the taillight panel and seams towards the gas tank

And, BTW, I sure would like a few more clues about how much brown,black, and clear to add to my DP74 IYHO.

I'll see if I can find the formula I use - new comouter does not have everything moved over yet
Jeff Speegle

Offline oldheap

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff, exactly what I needed and then some, with the photos! And with the date code visible on the taillight panel support, it certainly confirms that it is from about the same period, too.