Author Topic: Starter Cable Clips to Motor Mount, Source?  (Read 6861 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Starter Cable Clips to Motor Mount, Source?
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
I was recently working on a good friend's '69 Mach 1, and I noticed that his car has a single clip attached to the passenger's side motor mount bolt.  This clip holds the starter cable (from starter to solenoid) away from the exhaust.

I've been trying to find this clip for my car, but I've found some conflicting information. 

I found this clip on eBay, but it looks nothing like what was on my friend's car:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Starter-Solenoid-Cable-Brackets-1964-1973-Mustangs-/400220709830?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969|Model%3AMustang&hash=item5d2f0363c6#ht_2030wt_939

Then, I looked on AMK's website and in their catalog, they list a clip for 289/302/390/428 cars, and another for 351C, 429 cars.  There's nothing listed for a 351 Windsor, which is what's in my car.

Which clip is correct, and where exactly do these things mount?  Did my '69 Mach use more than one originally?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Starter Cable Clips to Motor Mount, Source?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
Not sure why 351 W would differ from the rest of the small blocks in the same year.

What did the ones on your friends car look like?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
The Insulator from the Ebay Link is correct for 351W IMHO.  Only other one I have seen is the Twisted Tab.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »
The Insulator from the Ebay Link is correct for 351W IMHO.  Only other one I have seen is the Twisted Tab.

Ok, thanks!  After thinking about it off and on all afternoon, that just about had to be what I saw on my friend's car.  I've looked pretty extensively, and like you said, that clip and the twisted tab one are pretty much all that's out there.

Does my car need one or two?  My friend's car only had one on the front motor mount bolt, but I read somewhere else that it should have two, one on each motor mount bolt.  Which is correct?

• MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Our most recent 1969 351W car only had one, but I have also seen 2. Are you planning on having the car Judged?
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:17:12 PM »
This may help in that one is original and one is Repro !

It seems like the repro "bend" isn't as smooth/almost like it is bent without a curve to it.

Mark
P.S.  This is on a big block (2)/length of 'isolation" may be a clue to how many used.  (this is an original cable)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Our most recent 1969 351W car only had one, but I have also seen 2. Are you planning on having the car Judged?

So far, I've been aiming towards Concours Driven. 

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
Mark, thanks for the picture.  To my untrained eye, I really can't tell a great deal of difference between the original and repro clips.  Also, I was wondering where the insulation went and what its function was; I thought it was to keep heat from the exhaust off of the cable!  I learn something every day!  :)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
The one on the right (in full view) has a "better" bend (read rounded) in fact if you look at the rubber grommet you can see it has fully compressed (almost oval).  The Repro bend doesn't follow the contour of the grommet.  If fact you can see the grommet isn't even compressed (round still)

Mark
P.S.  I don't think the top of the strap is the same either (rounded instead of squared off).  For functionality, they work.
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

• MagMustangs
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:59 PM »
Yep, the Original does have quite a bit of difference from the Repro.

Who judges the 69's and what do they accept?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
Who judges the 69's and what do they accept?

Standard answer is if the judge can tell the difference then they can deduct - but for a small difference like this I would expect them to consider how much is correct (finish, material......) and base the deduction (if any) on the percentage that is not correct
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
My ' search ' got me this far so just a little more info. please.  For an early 69, Metuchen, Mach 1 w/428 motor; starter cable requires two bracket grommets as in the picture posted by svo2scj ?  Is there a preferred finish silver/gold ?  Is there a better bracket available ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:50:23 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
My ' search ' got me this far so just a little more info. please.  For nearly 69 Mach 1 w/428 motor; starter cable requires two bracket grommets as in the picture posted by svo2scj ?  Is there a preferred finish silver/gold ?  Is there a better bracket available ?  Thanks,  Brian

Believe that the metal is/was zinc dipped. Don't know if there is really more than one company reproducing the part that many shops are selling
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  A quick look around some of the catalogs and none of them look like anybody really cared about a round loop.  The ' J ' shaped bracket/grommet seems to the favorite.  Brian
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:33:25 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 11:28:31 PM »
This may help in that one is original and one is Repro !

It seems like the repro "bend" isn't as smooth/almost like it is bent without a curve to it.
Mark
P.S.  This is on a big block (2)/length of 'isolation" may be a clue to how many used.  (this is an original cable)
Probably because the after market thought erroneously it was meant to be that shape to begin with. The originally round clip was given a good squeeze when installed so as to set the cable in the grommet /clip. The oblong shape after it was squeezed maybe was thought to be the original shape by who ever made the repro. At least that is my guess.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby