Author Topic: 1965 GT fog light 10 amp circuit breaker  (Read 2180 times)

Offline htpratt

1965 GT fog light 10 amp circuit breaker
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
I think I may have "fried" the original 10 amp circuit breaker for the fog lights attempting to relocate it.  Yes, I did not disconnect the battery before moving it and I think I shorted it out.  I have a couple questions. 
First, I thought that a circuit breaker would "Trip" then reset if something like this happens.  If I disconnect the blue/black  wires from the breaker and attach them together, the fog light will work.  If those same two wires are attached to the breaker it won't work.  I did a continuity test on the two poles on the breaker without the wire blue/black wires connected, there is continuity at the breaker.  You would think if there was continuity then the breaker should work.  What am I missing here?

Question two is what is the breaker for?  I assume that that there is not a fuse in the fuse panel for the fog lights therefor we have the circuit breaker.  Can I connect the blue/black wires together with out the circuit breaker and just go with that or do I need the breaker for safety purposes.

Your reply would be appreciated. 

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1965 GT fog light 10 amp circuit breaker
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
The circuit breaker is a bi-metallic device, much like the Constant Voltage Regulator.  However, if it sees a current greater than 10 amps, the metal inside bends and creates an open circuit, not allowing any current through.  When the demand drops, it should return to normal. 

However, these things are notorious for not being terribly reliable, and your's is now likely an open circuit.  Time to replace it.

Do not bypass this safety device, as this is your only fuse for the foglamps.  Should you draw enough current, the carrying capacity of the wires may be exceeded and not only will the Smoke Genie be let out, your local firemen will have an emergency call to your car. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com