Author Topic: Dads 64.5 stripped- need some basic answers  (Read 2120 times)

Offline midnite cruiser

• midnite cruiser
Dads 64.5 stripped- need some basic answers
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
Congrats on an excellent forum. Used 'net in similar fashion restoring a 55 F100. It was a 'tune up' for working the 64.5 convert inherited from Dad ( he was second owner, bought it from a Ford dealer parts mgr in '70)

VIN 5F08D188173 Wimbledon White D code 289- console, A/C, Rally Pak, power top. Black interior, C4 ,built July 2 1964, DSO 15 Newark (Fette Ford, Clifton,NJ)

Would like to go Concours Driven. She is all there, and may be a candidate for Thoroughbred, but I don't know if a few things keep it out of there. I have been running searches on many topics over the last year, but can't hit on a few basics.

1. car was "Tuff-coated" so it is solid and in need of no body work. Does this kill chances at AS or THBA? Would I need to remove all the goo and plugs and go backwards to painted underbody?

2. repainted in the late 70's with acrylic laquer- yup it crazed everywhere, flaked off lower front and rear valences where there are small surface rust patches. That paint job was not done in any tear down, no interior pan, door jambs etc saw the laquer. I am tearing down the vehicle now. Should I get it to a shell and media blast it to the metal? Or just rework outer laquered areas?

3. What are accepted Paint systems for these classes? Are 2 part urathenes accepted? I figure the commitment starts at the primer.

4. I would love to make a few changes and wonder where it trips a different class
-urethane bushings - to firm up the stagecoach handling of front end
-pertronix
- widest tires possible w/o wheel change
-FM radio (AM front type)
- rebuild A/C for 134a
-rear valance exhausts

Thanks for any and all comments!
JWhite
64.5 D code convert. / C4 / AC / PS / RP

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Dads 64.5 stripped- need some basic answers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »

4. I would love to make a few changes and wonder where it trips a different class
-urethane bushings - to firm up the stagecoach handling of front end
-pertronix
- widest tires possible w/o wheel change
-FM radio (AM front type)
- rebuild A/C for 134a
-rear valance exhausts

Thanks for any and all comments!

First welcome

Will leave the others to the rest - gives them something to do ;)

As for changes - I see three different paths

1- Make them - enjoy the car as you wish, enter the car in Concours Trailered and enjoy the parking space and the memories. That will likely IMHO what you will leave with at the end of the day. As we tighten the classes and judging a bit to reward those focusing on originality I would guess a car equipped as you described might win a Bronze at best (and would not want to bet money on that). Not wanting to run anyone off or discouraging them - just attempting to be honest.

2- Choose a different class - possibly Occasional Driver

3- Build the care the way it came. This is the Concours Site :)

Just an opinion

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline $64stang

Re: Dads 64.5 stripped- need some basic answers
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Come to a Mustang Club of America Show ,
In 2010 like the  National Show in Virginia Beach or the Ashevillie, N.C. Show.
And check out the cars in the classes you are thinking about being in.
Get the Judging rule book from the Mustang Club of American.
And us it as your guide.
I have a conservator 1964 build 8 days after your car.