Author Topic: NOS H-Pipe identification  (Read 4091 times)

Offline htpratt

NOS H-Pipe identification
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
I have an NOS H-pipe with the following part number tag still attached: C5ZZ 5246-K.  What is this h-pipe for, a standard 289 with dual exhaust or "K" Code engine.  Is there a difference between a standard dual exhaust and one fo r the "K" engine?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: NOS H-Pipe identification
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
Yes there is a difference between the K code and the standard C and A code H pipes.

Let me look around and see if I have a picture to help  or a number.  Had a NOS standard around here but gave it to a friend last year for his project

Will check ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline htpratt

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »
Jeff,  This H-pipe of mine bolts up to my "K" code motor with the '65 Hipo Exhaust manifolds.  The motor is still on the engine stand.  I guess that is a good sign that it is for the Hipo engine.  Now if I use that h-pipe it will rust, right.  Should I opt for a reporduction that is aluminized instead of the original pipe.

Your thoughts on that , please.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
If you plan to drive the car at all, you might want to consider a newer pipe, like aluminized.  Another option would be to have the NOS H-pipe ceramic coated.

The -K version you have should have the locating tabs on the bottom, which is not correct for a 65-66, they should be on the side.  If you do choose to use the NOS H-pipe, you'll need to knock off the tabs for a proper fit.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline htpratt

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:11 PM »
Charles,  What is the problem with the locating tabs?  If is for the "K" motor then why are the tabs on the bottom instead of the side?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
Charles,  What is the problem with the locating tabs?  If is for the "K" motor then why are the tabs on the bottom instead of the side?

I don't know why the tabs are located on the bottom, but since it's a service part, it really doesn't matter.  The proper place for the tabs on a 65-66 dual exhaust V8 (A code GT or K code) would be on the side of the pipes.

The locating tabs were used on all H/Y pipes from that time period, they were not unique to K codes.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin