Author Topic: Pics of caliper/spindle safety wire needed  (Read 5013 times)

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
Pics of caliper/spindle safety wire needed
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
I need to put the safety wire back on the L/R spindle/caliper attaching bolts but not sure how its routed. Anyone have a pic I can reference? (1970)
Jeff, I'll bet you might have something :)
Thanks,
Rick
We'll, I just saw the ealier post - I should look before I leap ::) Should I assume '69 is same as '70?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:17:17 PM by rmaginnis »
Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pics of caliper/spindle safety wire needed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:11 AM »
Rick believe that since the caliper mounts the rest of the hardware is the same the same workers would have done it the same way.

Do you need me to post some finished or original examples to help out?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 12:57:49 AM »
Rick believe that since the caliper mounts the rest of the hardware is the same the same workers would have done it the same way.

Do you need me to post some finished or original examples to help out?
If you have something that would be great. The pics from the other post on this forum show each bolt head is individually wired through the bolt holes then wraped around the spindle arm and twisted but, I thought I remember the wire going from one bolt head to the other. I only have 2 wires, each one 19" long.  Any variation on how these were safety wired? Mine is an April 70 Dearborn build.
Thanks,
Rick
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
I believe there was a direction in the assembly manual of a minimum of 5 twists of the wire which I thought interesting. Also if talking about Boss 302 ,Boss 429 or 69/70 Shelby with big suspension it has been brought to my attention by a grumpy backwoods Indiana friend that a additional piece of wire was wrapped around the spindle also and used for Identification purposes. If Jeff does not have it to post then I will post a picture of it tonight
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
Not sure that the 70 Boss got the wrap as Bob mentioned (rather a 69 "new/different" suspension thing) Think you'll find that by 70 the identification was done using the green fabric tape/wrap on the upper arm of the spindle

Here are a few pictures of original 68-69 examples - not sure if they always got the full five turns like the engineers wanted

Hope this helps as always

Sorry don't recall which ones are from which factory
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:35:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
I deleted my other post because of some confused info on my part. I revisited with special Ed Meyer after Jeff questioned some of the info I posted. This is a new and improved post on the subject.The Shelby 69/70 and 69 Boss 302 were different and reinforced more so (DOZA-B)then the normal C8 spindles. The DOZA-B spindles got the ID wire wrap in the last 3 months or so of 69 production to tell the difference . The 70 Boss cars didn't get the identification wire because they were the same DOZA-C spindles as regular production. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the help and pics guys. Guess I'll find some old wire coathangers to use ;D
Rick Maginnis
0F02G18xxxx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
Thanks for the help and pics guys. Guess I'll find some old wire coathangers to use ;D

For the safety wire for the disc it's not that thick but it is thicker then most of the safety wire you find out there today- and it was steel not the stainless steel sold now.

I've got a small roll of bailing wire I use - seems to be a good match
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
bailing wire. +1 .Bob