1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 SJ undercoating and paint process

(1/4) > >>

67gta289:
Currently restoring a 1967 San Jose built fastback (Dec 66, DSO SJ also) and would like to know more about the basic assembly process in regards to undercoating, primer, and paint.  From reading through all of the postings, observing pictures, etc. I will re-state what I think I have learned:
1. Undercoating applied first, prior to primer (Note that most of my undercoating is still in place and will remain so.  I will only have to replace some pieces that have flaked off)
2. Primer (probably red oxide) applied to the whole vehicle (via a semi-automated system that engulfed the floorpan area.  Is this what caused the large drips?)
3. Body color applied including the interior floor pan and trunk area.  Looks like the engine compartment was painted to some degree as I found body color under the black paint below the hinges and on the firewall.  Also found body color on the aprons under the rear inner splash shields after they were removed.  Not sure how far forward body color was applied.  ???
4. Black paint applied in the engine compartment and inner fenders, although from pictures there would have been some visible red oxide on the shock towers behind the springs.

I would appreciate if anyone can add some details and/or point me in the right direction of any publications that have the gory details I'm looking for.

Thanks, John

midlife:
Whoa!  I didn't think undercoating was applied at any factory, only by the dealers.  Therefore, primer goes first.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: midlife on December 25, 2009, 09:57:23 PM ---Whoa!  I didn't think undercoating was applied at any factory, only by the dealers.  Therefore, primer goes first.

--- End quote ---

Yes, correct, but sound deadener was applied in various areas throughout the cars, which most would think of as undercoating.

midlife:
Well, Charles, even if that was true, wasn't that sound deadening applied after primer?  I'm thinking of the front fenders in particular.  I know in the trunk interior, the sound deadening was applied before top coat.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: midlife on December 26, 2009, 10:32:40 PM ---Well, Charles, even if that was true, wasn't that sound deadening applied after primer?  I'm thinking of the front fenders in particular.  I know in the trunk interior, the sound deadening was applied before top coat.

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily.  In some areas, sound deadener and/or seam sealer was applied directly to bare metal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version