Author Topic: 1966 Interior Color Code Project  (Read 37791 times)

Offline Pete Bush

1966 Interior Color Code Project
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Looks like there's a little bit of interest in creating a Mustang Interior Color Code Chart similar to the one attached here for 1966 Thunderbirds provided by the Thunderbird club.

Also attached is a photo of a page out of the Ditzler Interior Color Identification Chart for 1966. It lists the correct color codes for Mustang interior paint.

I've begun building an Excel spreadsheet similar to the Thunderbird one - only with Mustang components along the top. So far I have the following list of components:

Windshield Moulding
Speaker/Defroster Grille
Dash Pad
A-Pillar
Instrument Panel
Instrument Cluster
Glove Box Door
Steering Column
Steering Wheel
Rally Pac
Kick Panels
Metal Door Surfaces
Door Panels
Arm Rest Pads
Door Lock Knob
Windlace
Console
Console Trim
Seat
Seat Bolster
Seat Side Shield
Seat Belts
Quarter Trim Panel
Package Tray
Carpet
Foot/Heel Pad
Sunvisor
Headliner
2+2 Vent
2+2 Overhead Moulding
Convertible Top Liner/Pads
Convertible Top Bows
Header Seal
Boot

Is this list sufficient? Is the wording of a component correct? Or is there a more appropriate nomenclature?

With everyone's help, I'd like to begin identifying component colors. I'll then note them on the spreadsheet. When done Jeff can post it in the Library section for reference. If this works out, we might do the same for other years.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline Panther

• Bronze Level Subscriber
    • Early Mustang
Re: 1966 Interior Color Code Project
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:02 AM »
Great idea! How can i help?

I'd add "kick panel carpet" to your list - the deluxe interior got an additional piece of carpet on the kick panels.

Here are all the codes for 66, summed up to groups:

Standard bucket seats:

Code 2 - one color:
22 - blue 
25 - red
26 - black
27 - aqua
2DA - parchment

Code D - parchment with colored appointments:
D2 - parchment with blue appointments
D3 - parchment with burgundy appointments
D4 - parchment with emberglow appointments
D6 - parchment with black appointments
D7 - parchment with aqua appointments
D8 - parchment with ivy gold appointments
D9 - parchment with palomino appointments

Standard bench seats:

Code 3 - one color:
32 - blue
35 - red
36 - black

Code C - parchment with colored appointments:
C2 - parchment with blue appointments
C3 - parchment with burgundy appointments
C4 - parchment with emberglow appointments
C6 - parchment with black appointments
C7 - parchment with aqua appointments
C8 - parchment with ivy gold appointments
C9 - parchment with palomino appointments

Deluxe bucket seats:

Code 6 - two-tone:
62 - blue/white
64 - emberglow/parchment
67 - aqua/white
68 - ivy gold/white

Code 6 - one color:
65 - red
66 - black

Code F - parchment with colored appointments:
F2 - parchment with blue appointments
F3 - parchment with burgundy appointments
F4 - parchment with emberglow appointments
F6 - parchment with black appointments
F7 - parchment with aqua appointments
F8 - parchment with ivy gold appointments
F9 - parchment with palomino appointments

There should also be a hint to the three digit codes (with an additional "A") and what the difference would be compared to the normal two-digit code.

Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »
This chart from "How To Restore Your Mustang" by Larry Dobbs and Donald Farr published by California Mustang in 1989. There are some inconsistencies in it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:18:17 PM »
Thanks for the info there, Panther.

I'm aware of the carpet at the bottom of the deluxe kick panels. I'm just not sure how I want to note it in the spreadsheet. It might be a footnote.

You say "one color" on some of your interiors such as the Code 2's and 3's. But that might be a little confusing as even those interiors had different shading variations between components. For instance, an aqua interior (27) might have Light Turquoise Poly (#13025) on the metal parts of the doors and Medium Aqua Poly (#12993) on the speaker grille.

While an "A" suffix on a standard interior code meant no rosette material used in the seat cushion or back; an "A" suffix on a deluxe interior meant a one-piece quarter trim design. This information might also be dealt with by way of a footnote.

Jim,
I have Dobbs' book too. And I agree that there are inconsistencies that we can correct with our version. It also is a rather incomplete listing of components, and might be a little easier to read. I kinda like the layout of the Thunderbird chart - easy to read. Do you think that there's any modifications to that format that would better serve a person reading it for the first time?

Offline Panther

• Early Mustang
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the info there, Panther.

i'm glad if i can help! :)

I'm aware of the carpet at the bottom of the deluxe kick panels. I'm just not sure how I want to note it in the spreadsheet. It might be a footnote.
I think this would be acceptable as the kick panel carpet always has the same color as the carpet.

You say "one color" on some of your interiors such as the Code 2's and 3's. But that might be a little confusing as even those interiors had different shading variations between components. For instance, an aqua interior (27) might have Light Turquoise Poly (#13025) on the metal parts of the doors and Medium Aqua Poly (#12993) on the speaker grille.

You're right, i'm aware of this problem - it led to my post: Problem with blue package tray on 66 mustangs. I didn't know how to call these interior codes witch represent one color even if it has different shades. Perhaps you have an idea?

While an "A" suffix on a standard interior code meant no rosette material used in the seat cushion or back; an "A" suffix on a deluxe interior meant a one-piece quarter trim design. This information might also be dealt with by way of a footnote.
+1 on this

Paul
Paul
6R07C214274
65A 8 D6 11F 71 6 6

Certified MCA Judge 1964.5-1966

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
Do you think that there's any modifications to that format that would better serve a person reading it for the first time?
Suggestions:
One page per year. Someone working on a 65 won't really care about a 66. If they do, they can flip pages.
Don't crowd the page. A section (or page) like Paul did for standard, delux and bench seats might be considered.
You almost need a paint to interior matrix as a reference even if it's a duplication of another source.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline smp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
hi guys great post what about the color of the front seat belt sheaths and buckle for a 66 convertible with deluxe seat belts and the 67 interior trim with pony interior.they are a dark green in color.thanks
dearborn built 66 convertible- 289 auto- Tahoe turquoise aqua- white intier decor group - build date 16f.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
All good suggestions!
I think what I'll do is to put together something in spreadsheet form and post it here so everyone can see it and react to it. We can then add/delete/modify it as necessary until we have something suitable. I'll try and work on it tonight and tomorrow morning.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
A few things I thing will need clarification

1- Instrument Panel & Instrument Cluster ?

Are these the gauge bezel ?

Should one be "Dash and ash tray surfaces"?

2- Glove Box Door

Does this every change? All are low gloss black on the back side

3- Rally Pac

Opening a can a worms considering dealer or factory installation aren't we?

4- Door Lock Knob

Might want to leave that one off starting in 66 - since they are all the same finish

5- Console Trim?

What is this and how does the color change based on interior?

6- Seat Bolster?

7- Seat Side Shield

Again does this change?

8- Foot/Heel Pad

Would this include shape, use or color? Might leave it off

9- Convertible Top Bows & Header Seal

Again since they don't change their elimination would clean up the spread sheet and get rid of some columns that would just be all the same

Just some thoughts and input ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »
Attached is a first draft template. Although some components might not change in color (convertible top bows for instance) I've included them thus far just so there's a complete accounting.

Seats are two-tone. Is there another way to distinguish the differences?

Please comment on the structure of the table at this point. Once we can agree on that, we can begin to fill in the appropriate color schemes.

Offline tomtri66

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
Looks great, Pete.  Really like this idea.
Would it be helpful to include the original Ford part number as well as the Ditzler?
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
Tom,

Do you have a Ford/Ditzler cross-reference for interior paint?

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
I had a long conversation with a Lady at PPG regarding an interior paint code from the 60's.
Seems all of those codes are now defunct and they can only go by closest match.
Listing all the paint codes for all the different parts is great, but how can anyone get a correct colour mix when the codes no longer exist ?
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »
I had a long conversation with a Lady at PPG regarding an interior paint code from the 60's.
Seems all of those codes are now defunct and they can only go by closest match.
Listing all the paint codes for all the different parts is great, but how can anyone get a correct colour mix when the codes no longer exist ?

Firstly at least the chart will help owners know what finishes match each other but the idea of using old codes for color matching does create some problem since, as you mentioned, many paint suppliers can't do much with them. To add to the problem once water base paints become the norm and current formulas will have to be redone again. Currently TCGobal has many of the interior and exterior colors reformulated but they may not have all of them. I think they are doing it on a as needed basis as they get samples since I don't believe they are reformulating old mixes (doesn't work neatly that way from my understanding) but instead hand matching until they get the color.  Did this (with them) a couple years back when they didn't have a color they listed figured out yet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)