Author Topic: Water Pump / Timing Cover / AC / PS Bolts  (Read 1084 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Water Pump / Timing Cover / AC / PS Bolts
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:19:27 AM »
So we know that the engine was partially together when it was painted.  My question is, if the car came with power steering and/or air conditioning, were those brackets (or pulleys) attached to the engine when it was painted or were they added later?  If they were added later, would the bolts that had to come off the water pump to attach the brackets be chipped in some way when they were removed?  Would they have been touched up later?  Are there any bolts that should not be painted?  Just something I am currently thinking about when planning on putting the front half of my motor back together. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Water Pump / Timing Cover / AC / PS Bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
So we know that the engine was partially together when it was painted.  My question is, if the car came with power steering and/or air conditioning, were those brackets (or pulleys) attached to the engine when it was painted or were they added later?  If they were added later, would the bolts that had to come off the water pump to attach the brackets be chipped in some way when they were removed?  Would they have been touched up later?  Are there any bolts that should not be painted?  Just something I am currently thinking about when planning on putting the front half of my motor back together.
P/S and A/C brackets were not on the engine when painted . The bolts in the water pump would have been painted when the engine was painted. Yes it would be normal to see some chipping of paint where the bolts were taken out and reinstalled when the brackets were added. No Ford didn't go back in and touch up the bolts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
So at a MCA show, if there were chips present, would there be any point subtraction? 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
So at a MCA show, if there were chips present, would there be any point subtraction?
If the chips were consistent with a typical installation then no deductions IMHO. With that said it is up to the individual judge and his or hers understanding of the process.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby